The Strid at Bolton Abbey

Name
Suzanna
Edit My Images
Yes
Went here a few months back, the Strid is pretty impressive up close!

Here's a shot I got of the rushing water:

3907673626_95b5b4576e.jpg

C&C welcome! :)

makes a change to see water not smoothed by longer exposure ..you certainly get a sense of rushing water.

Like it. Looks pretty impressive and peaty, nice colours.

Andy

Catches the feeling and action of this notorious place.

It brings back memories!....Great atmospheric shot, natural looking water. I'm no great fan of "milky" water...Well done.

Hi Suze. Nice to see someone else from Leeds on here!

I like your shot. It does capture the power of the water. It appears that the highlights have burnt out though, which is a bit of a shame. I'm not sure if this happened in camera, or if you've adjusted it a little too harshly (because the shadows seem very dark too). Just something to watch out for!

The Strid is an incredibly difficult location to photograph. I've been and found it very challenging to find the right angle to shoot from. I think the perfect place to stand is in the middle of the water! (Not advisable!)

I went down the more obvious long exposure route on my visit (see below). I think they make an interesting contrast to your shot.

3465390414_c51f654450.jpg

3464575879_3e4454fa11.jpg

Hi Suze. Nice to see someone else from Leeds on here!

I like your shot. It does capture the power of the water. It appears that the highlights have burnt out though, which is a bit of a shame. I'm not sure if this happened in camera, or if you've adjusted it a little too harshly (because the shadows seem very dark too). Just something to watch out for!

The Strid is an incredibly difficult location to photograph. I've been and found it very challenging to find the right angle to shoot from. I think the perfect place to stand is in the middle of the water! (Not advisable!)

I went down the more obvious long exposure route on my visit (see below). I think they make an interesting contrast to your shot.

3465390414_c51f654450.jpg

3464575879_3e4454fa11.jpg

very cool!

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate the feedback :)

Yeah that is me on the pp, I have been looking at it recently considering whether I overdid it a bit at the time! I might revisit and see how it looks a little less processed. Thanks :)

Lovely shots! It is really interesting to compare them, as yours manage to make the Strid look really serene!

The Strid has been one of my favourite places since I was a nipper, and the Abbey too - I remember braving the stepping stones when I was 8 - scary stuff then! H&S has probably killed that one off nowadays though.

I've always meant to spend some time here with a camera but never managed to, funnily enough it's on the agenda soon, time permitting. If anyone fancies a meet I'll let you know when I'm going? I would imagine this time of year it could be quite stark and interesting, I've only ever been during spring/summer.

Back