There's two of us taking photos!

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
This shot is of my fellow paramotor pilot Andrew from Glasgow enjoying a late afternoon flight over Rannoch Moor last Thursday and one of the first shots from my new shiny EOS 5D

IMG_27541.jpg

Andrew flies with a Nikon D200 and apart from that he is a really nice guy !:D His photos are fantastic and I hope to persuade him to join this forum to share them.

You should have seen us flying around each other trying to take pictures of each other, like a couple of young fledglings :wacky:

Justing getting to grips with CS2 but as I process more will share them - enjoy!

Oh!, and C&C always welcome - I need to improve with such serious competition :LOL:

Nice shot there, the scenery is stunning. Only problem is, it looks like an awful long way to walk home if you run out of petrol ;)

Hee Hee! Wetsparks. I have walked a long way with glider on my back before but can usually see funny side - except when you forget to take water with you on a hot day in the Monaliadth mountains but that story is for a another day :).

Right, here we go with some more. First up is a view to the north to one of the interior mountains, Leum Uilleim:

IMG_27681.jpg

Next one is more of Andrew. Looks a little noisy here but not before resized. Must check that out :thinking:
IMG_2765.jpg

What Rannoch Moor is famous for, Lochans flowing into each other;

IMG_2790.jpg

Andrew scooting low over a Lochan. They can be very shallow. You can see the bottom of this one.

IMG_2854.jpg

This one just sells the sport for me

IMG_2813.jpg

some super shots there the last 2 i really like looks like a great sport ..:clap:

It is Dave. (y)

BTW - I have flown over Ludlow from the long Mynd on a non-powered version of above. Lovely area!

Looks like you certainly get some beautiful scenery from way up there!

these are fantastic.. no-one else sees these things from this angle....well done indeed.(y)

A priviledge to view.... envious .... :)

Stunning stuff there - a lovely area anyway and from up there - wow!

have to echo the above, these are just stunning.

Superb shots.

Rannoch Moor sure is desolate and would no doubt be seriously boggy to walk.

Do you ever go over the summits or do currents make that challenging and or dangerous? I would love to see shots of Biean nam bean or Buachaille etive mor and how about a shot of following the Aonach eagach ridge? :)

Thanks guys, glad you like the photos.

Chewy - This sport is fairly accessable and as far as aviation goes is very cheap. You can throw a lot of money at it and get all the new fancy gear and be in the air for under £7K. With help and a bit of patience you can buy great S/H gear for about half that. Good point about a bit of background, I may work something up but in the meantime if you have any questions just ask away!

Steve - I do go over the summits and have been to over 6,000ft on a few occasions. On the morning of these photos I flew at Aonach Mor and although at summit height I was not brave enough to get over the summits as there was a stronger higher wind blowing into the boonies (I did not want to get stuck away from my vehicle as I had planned to meet Andrew later) and fast cloud development.

I have shots of the Buachaille but due to cloud cover they are a bit drab. I have flown the Aonach eagach ridge without power a few years back and took a thermal to 6,500 ft - now that was a day!! The wind on Thursday was such that the better flying was to be had to the East so that's where we went. Andrew wanted to fly to Glasgow and I regret not doing it but had commitments at home. More adventures are planned however :)

Superb as always and a very unique perspective.

Arghhhh, I just hate battling through crowds, and there's always someone gets in front just when you're taking the shot :D

Great stuff (y)

Very nice shots.

Its nice to see you out with a Nikon user (even though your a long way from him) :LOL: :LOL: :canon:

thats it. I'm moving north of the border to mountains and unrivalled views...
family comes from there anyway, these photos are great, just keep em's coming!
just wodnering - were you using a polariser at all?

Absolutely fascinating :) Must admit if I was a few years younger I'd give serious thought to this. Mind you I had as much fun diving the lochs on the west of Scotland :)

A couple of questions for you. How stable is the rig when you let go of the control lines (as I assume you have to ) to take a photograph? Air traffic control, do you have to log a flight plan or anything. Just thinking who would be the winner in an argument with a low flying jet or something :thinking:

Hamish - No polariser. Always fly with a skylight or UV filter just to protect glass.

Wetsparks - At 56! You are a young 'un. Great story in Skywings about a 68 year old who just took up the sport. I flew with a 65 year old pilot in the Alps and was seriously impressed. He was as gutsy (and skilled) as any I have flown with! My good friend Mike is 56 also and flys regularly. Loads of 60+ pilots in the motorised version of our sport - Pensioner yobbos flying low causing all sorts of trouble! :LOL:

mho01 - He did spot my new 5D straight away and was ( I thought) a little green :D

Sorry Wetsparks never answered fully. Most shots are set with shutter priority which I try to never drop below 1/125th and ideally above 1/200th.

Flight plan - yes! don't tell the military anything - they only come and have a look. They would win in any event :eek: Seriously you must observe the Air Navigation Order and the class of airspace that Rannochis in means no reporting is required (See and be seen).

I can only echo what everyone else has said - a stunning set of images. Please keep them coming!!

Some awsome shots there. Don't think I'd have the balls to do it!

What a wonderful set of pictures - the way to see the countryside but worried for your 5D on landing.

They really do give us landlubbers a seriously different perspective we would not normally get ... thanks for sharing these HuN they are a super set ...(y)

I struggled to see your pal in the first one ... initially ... he looks like one of your wee Lochans ...:D

Pwhoar ... James Bond ... :LOL: ... :wacky:

:p

Back