Think tank retrospective

Name
Gez
Edit My Images
No
I already use a Retrospective 20 but would like a smaller version as well. Could anybody let me know how small I can go (5, 7 or 10 ) to hold a 5D3 with 24-105 attached and maybe one more lens...
thanks
Gez

I have a 7, it fits my 6D with 24-70 f4 is attached, squeezed next to it is a flashgun and squeezed next to that is the 70-200 ii. It's got a mini bracket, off shoe cord and cleaning bits in too. I can even fit my ipad in the back zipper pocket and apparently an 11" air will fit in it but I don't have one of those so I don't know for definite.

Also, it isn't squeezed if I don't take the flashgun.

Last edited:
I have a 5 and it fits a D610 + 28-300, I expect it would fit my old D700 so should be fine with your kit.

For extra stuff I see it thus:

5: iPad mini
7: ipad
10: MacBook Air 12"

Oh, as for carrying an extra lens, it would be possible in a 5 but it would probably be a PITA as you'd need to Akers the lens out before taking the camera out.

My 10 is far bigger than I thought. They are very conservative with their size estimates on the website

The big advantage of the 20 is that it takes a 70-200 still attached to a gripped body. But when it does have that in the bag, there is really only room for a flash and another lens. Yes, you can pack in more but each time you want to get the camera out, it's a PITA. The 20 looks like a big bag, but it's really only big with a larger lens attached.
So, what I'm saying is that perhaps a 10 or 7 may be too small. Maybe just fill the 20 with what you need, and see if it'll fit in a 10. I doubt it'll go in a 7. I always forget how heavy these bags are empty. Stick in a gripped body, a 70-200,flash and a 16-35, and that lot does put some strain on your back!

Last edited:
I have a 10 and it takes my 1DMkIII with a 24-105 with reversed hood attached, lens down, with a 17-40 to one side. On the other side I put the 17-40 hood and tuck the Optech strap in. There's plenty of room in the front expanding pocket for a flash if needed, and the other internal nooks and crannies easily take other bits and pieces. Also, although I didn't realise this when buying, my Gitzo 1542T goes nicely under the main flap.

I have a 20 and a 7. The 7 will take my 5diii with 24-105 (no grip, hood reversed), plus a 17-40. There is still room for other bits and pieces, and though I have never done it could also have a third lens (50 1.4 or possibly the non-IS 100 macro).

I did check the site but always think the best route is to ask people that actually use the things. One of the reasons to get something smaller is since changing from 1Ds to 5D3 I dont need the depth which is what makes the 20 seem to big. Thanks v. much everybody it was just what I wanted to hear.
:)

I use a 10. That takes my 5D3 plus 24-105 attached and a 70-200 (f4, not the 2.8). Holds all my personal bits - wallet, glasses, phone etc. And that's about it. Wouldn't like to be any smaller, or try to fit more in. Just about right for me and that kit.

Next problem.... I have far far too many bags... How do I smuggle another one through the door ?
:(

Oh that's easy. Go out with a big bag that's empty. Come back with the smaller bag inside it. Make some excuse about being desperate for the toilet and you are past the sentry who suspects nothing.

I have a 7 and it fits my D3s+135 f2 attached and 35mm 1.4 + 50mm 1.4 +flash+ wallet + keys + phone + kindle. Great bag.

Back