Think Tank Shape Shifter vs Streetwalker HardDrive

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I'm planning a trip to Amsterdam for a few days in September and could do with a new bag. I want to take my 15" MBP with me and I like Think Tank bags (I've got a Retrospective 30) so it is between the Shape Shifter and Streetwalker HardDrive.

I'd like your help to decide. My person pros/cons for each from reviews are as followed

Shape Shifter
Pros
  • Compact
  • Flexible
  • Lighter?

Cons
  • Can't have a lens attached to body
Streetwalker
Pros
  • Can have lens attached to body
  • Better support straps (has one for the waist)
Cons
  • More bulky
  • Less flexible
  • Heavier?
You'd think I'd be able to chose as the Shape Shifter has more pros / less cons. However the fact I can't have a body attached to a lens in the bag is a major con for me. I'm not sure if the pros outweigh it.

What are your experience with these bags? Which would you get? Basically, which is best for traveling?

I have both, but I'll use them for different things. Either would do you and they are both excellent bags.

- The street walker gives more protection with the hard sides and interior dividers, does allow you to configure for a lens attached body, and has better waist support (although the shape shifter can be combined with a TT belt if you wish) but it is a fixed external size. You can set up the dividers to perfectly suit your kit and accessories. It looks "smarter".

- Both will take laptops with no issue, although I do prefer the side zip access on the streetwalker if I had to choose.

- The shape shifter works best when configured with fairly standard kit of up-to 2 bodies, and 3 lenses up-to a 70-200mm. Any variation from that and it doesn't really work although you can probably squeeze in a flash or two as well. It is also really designed for you to travel to where you are shooting and then mount lenses and have them on your shoulder/in your hands when you can then reduce the depth of the bag and have a thinner profile on your back. So IMVHO it is less of an issue that you can't have a mounted body in the bag - because it would be out ready to shoot. I took Leon Neal's advice from his excellent blog ( http://leonneal.com/blog/portfolio/item/the-thinktank-shapeshifter/ ) and rolled up a bit of bubble wrap, placing it in the base of the interior, to give the bottom of the camera section bit more protection when setting it down.

When I'm flying on a day, 2-day shooting strip I tend to use the shape shifter - it looks even less like a camera backpack and is more likely to fit in airline bins/under the seat. I also use it for festivals where I can keep the backpack on in the pit in reduced form and not take it off, and also navigate through the crowds.

HTH

@meonshore Thanks for the fantastic reply! Do either of the bags have a side pocket to put a bottle of water in? I haven't seen one in any of the photos I've seen of the bags.

No problem.

The shape shifter doesn't - the sides are all taken up with the zip arrangement, and when it is "thin" there isn't enough depth. I tend to use the front zipped pocket for a bottle, or if I'm using in conjunction with a speed belt I'll add a pouch for one.

The streetwalker does have stretchy material pockets on both sides and they are able to take a 500ml water bottle with ease.

Back