This is a Keeper

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I ahve no idea why I like this shot.. I did 116 pics from this womens football game. But this shot of the portsmouth keeper stands out for me... Is it because she looks so small.. I dunno?

keeper.jpg

It is an interesting shot, as a sports shot I am not sure it does a lot to me.

But I think it's good a nice range of colors, shade and sun.. also as you said, the keeper looks quite tiny in the photo.

Also, i think that maybe the way you've composed the image (although how much time there is to compose a shot in sports... I am not sure of) works better, than for example if you would have shown the whole goal.

Interesting... as mentioned already:LOL:

I like it, for me I think the clincher is the expression on her face. Real grit and determination, kinda saying "you think that would get past me?!".

I too like the way its composed, gives a really different feel, one you don't get that often with sports shots. Presumable because of the time and pressure of the situation.

To me I think I like it because it speaks volumes of the differences between men's and women's football. The sloping pitch that needs a mow. The stand that looks dodgy. The lack of spectators.

As said it's not a back page sports shot, but it is a great documentary style image.

yeah, I like it, the size, the negative space, the geometric shapes with the net and the ball, the sun and the shade and the ball matching the blues of the terrace.

Nice photo. Sometimes things just work.

Glad its not just me.. thanks for the comments.. Am thinking of doing a womens football photo exhibition and have marked this as a possible .. and now a deffo.

Just ditto the above comments. Technically not the best shot - harsh light and arguably not the best composition and unfortunate background.

BUT all of that helps the photo work - it really tells a story about the graft and grind of the non-glamorous world of womens footie. 2nd rate pitches and empty stands.

She's a keeper, and the photo's a keeper IMO...

Last edited:
To me I think I like it because it speaks volumes of the differences between men's and women's football. The sloping pitch that needs a mow. The stand that looks dodgy. The lack of spectators.
I seriously doubt that thats their own ground mate, more likely a local NL side's place.

She's really ickle too isn't she. Makes the ladies game farcical sometimes :(

I think its because she looks threatened, but you cant see what the threat is. That makes the shot a bit spooky looking - loads of empty space around and no reason for he to look so concerned.

Just ditto the above comments. Technically not the best shot - harsh light and arguably not the best composition and unfortunate background.

BUT all of that helps the photo work - it really tells a story about the graft and grind of the non-glamorous world of womens footie. 2nd rate pitches and empty stands.

She's a keeper, and the photo's a keeper IMO...

Everything in the shot works for me. Especially the harsh light and composition. Different folks and all that ...... and I tend to be the different one :thinking:

Its far more a social documentary image than a sports image which is why it works for me. Like other's, its the empty stands, rough grass and just her, her ball, her goal and a load of space, filled nicely by the crossed beams (in contrast to the verticals and horizontals of the goal posts.

Its a very original shot and works for me. I've seen a million 'football' shots and forgotten them. I'd remember this one! (y)

Back