Thistle sunset

This is much better than the last ones you posted up from here (that I saw).
Have you blended exposures again? Only reason I ask is the slightly halo's area behind said thistles. Or is it from selectively brightening the area?
It's a shame there is haze on the horizon, if you can get back up in Autumn/Winter there shouldn't be any as it cools down.

Thanks for your feedback Jane. This is just a single exposure edited in lightroom. A lot of shadow recovery may have created the thistle halo. I can check when I get home. I need to start using filters rather than fixing the photos so much on the computer.

It was a very hazy evening. There is very little to use as foreground interest at that location and even less later in the year when the thistles have died.

Thanks for your feedback Jane. This is just a single exposure edited in lightroom. A lot of shadow recovery may have created the thistle halo. I can check when I get home. I need to start using filters rather than fixing the photos so much on the computer.

It was a very hazy evening. There is very little to use as foreground interest at that location and even less later in the year when the thistles have died.
Who's Jane? :p
Yeah there is a chance that is what caused it! Do you have filters? I guess it's all down to how much you like to do in PP. I do very little and try and get it spot on in camera, but everyone shoot differently.
The haze is a pain at the minute, I've had a few nice sunsets down the pan due to it. Time to get up early me thinks.
Have you ever shot at Birdlip? Bit more FG there.

I don't think it works. For me, the foreground is too light for the rest of the image.

Who's Jane? :p
Yeah there is a chance that is what caused it! Do you have filters?

Sorry about that Jake, my phone seems to think it knows better than me what I should be typing - the predictive text is often more of a nuisance than an aid.

I do have a set of Hitech soft grads but don't get on with them at all as the graduation from light to dark is over too great a distance. I have just ordered a 2 stop hard grad and hope this is more useful. I find I get a lot more sun flare when using filters - is that normal?

I might lighten the sky slightly and reduce the orange saturation.

Sorry about that Jake, my phone seems to think it knows better than me what I should be typing - the predictive text is often more of a nuisance than an aid.

I do have a set of Hitech soft grads but don't get on with them at all as the graduation from light to dark is over too great a distance. I have just ordered a 2 stop hard grad and hope this is more useful. I find I get a lot more sun flare when using filters - is that normal?

I might lighten the sky slightly and reduce the orange saturation.

A hard grad will stop the problem you're having with the time it takes to graduate. I'd recommend a 3 stop too if you have the change.

Do you usually shoot with a lens hood? Taking that off in place of the filter holder will bring flare in. Secondly you're putting more glass/plastic/whatever in front of the lens, which in turn attracts more dirt, and even the smallest amount on filters seems to cause massive flaring!

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I have tweaked the original photo at the top. I have tried to remove some of the halo around the thistle and also tone down the orange in the sky.

Here is another version slightly more zoomed in, but this one has been processed from multiple exposures in HDR Efex 2.

Crickley HDR.JPG
by Idlefrog Photo, on Flickr

Must agree, no 1 is better, --Maybe I would have dodged the colour in the thistle flower head about 4 or 5 from the left, other thank that Its a really nice picture for me,

Geoff

Back