Thoughts on Giottos tripods

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
I've seen a Giottos carbon tripod for a good price. It is the new fancy Y column 3D type. Has anyone got one?
What are they like? I'm thinking about it purely from a weight saving exercise & changing from my Vanguard Altro Pro.

Thanks for any guidance

iv'e got the 8223 carbon tripod it's a good lightweight tripod for carrying around but the head that came with it was a bit pants and the first thing that got replaced
it's fine for shorter lenses but i wouldn't really be comfortable with a large heavy lens it seems fine with a 70 - 200 f2.8 but i think thats the biggest i would use

I've got the 8360B. A good solid tripod. But I think it's a bit of a myth that CarbonFibre is always a lightweight tripod. This weighs 1.8kg without the head and I've got a Sunwayfoto DB-44 Arca head on it. Lightweight it ain't!

I've got the 8360B. A good solid tripod. But I think it's a bit of a myth that CarbonFibre is always a lightweight tripod. This weighs 1.8kg without the head and I've got a Sunwayfoto DB-44 Arca head on it. Lightweight it ain't!

Very roughly, most CF tripods are about one-third lighter than an aluminium version, but twice the cost. 1.8kg is not heavy for a decent size tripod like that, especially including the tilting column mech. Sunway DB44 is also light for a quality ball-head at 500g (v nice head that, too (y) ).

My Vanguard is pushing 3kg so with head It should come in 1kg lighter. As someone once said, every little helps
@HoppyUK you would recommend that head? I was thinking a manfrotto as all my equipment carries their QR plate

My Vanguard is pushing 3kg so with head It should come in 1kg lighter. As someone once said, every little helps
@HoppyUK you would recommend that head? I was thinking a manfrotto as all my equipment carries their QR plate

You mean the Sunway DB44? Yes, for sure, excellent head and very well made. Currently a bargain at £140 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNWAYFOT..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item4d073b0c5b I also like the version with top panning clamp. You'll need Arca-Swiss QR plates to replace the Manfrottos - the ones I use are about a fiver on Amazon. I was told by CGUK that Sunway has discountinued the DB44 because "it's too expensive to manufacture" so CGUK bought the last batch of a few hundred I think. There can't be many of those left now.

BTW, the head I use personally is the amazing Arca-Swiss P0, though it needs an L-bracket to work optimally in vertical mode. You really have to use one to know how good it is (y) http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/camera...d-socket-p0-with-quickset-classic-device.html

Think I should add that CGUK are a great company to deal with!
If the DB44 is too expensive to manufacture that could mean it's a damned good head???

Think I should add that CGUK are a great company to deal with!
If the DB44 is too expensive to manufacture that could mean it's a damned good head???

Yes, and yes.

The FB44 replacement model for the DB44 had some problems, and the latest FB44-II version, while very good, is not quite as silky as the DB model. Another favourite head is the Manfrotto 468 Hydrostatic. Bigger and heavier, and massively strong, but with very delicate control. Good value too :) While I'm at it, Feisol CB-40D is another excellent head at a great price, light too.

I was thinking
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-496rc2-ball-head/p1033011#details
Cheaper, the right QR plate. I have a D7100 with biggest lens Sigma 50-500 so combined weight of camera lens and even SB910 is under this loading capacity

That head is not in the same class, and for a 50-500 you should really be looing at a gimbal head or a good strong ball like the M'frotto 468 Hydrostatic. Manufacturers' claimed load ratings are more or less meaningless.

Back