Critique Three Landscapes

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I have been taking part in POTY 2014 this year, I held onto some of the photographs which I have taken over the months until now, either they didn't fit the criteria or I have used another photograph for that particular challenge.

Would be grateful for your feedback.

Thanks in advance.
Carol
1, Lindisfarne
2, Eilean Donan Castle
3, A Field of Barley with Flare
Lindisfarne by MrsR66, on Flickr
Eilean Donan Castle by MrsR66, on Flickr
A Field of Barley with Flare by MrsR66, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think they're all cracking, but I would have liked to see a touch more exposure on the rocks in No.1. Just my personal preference though.

Now my missus says she thinks No.1 is better as it is, so what do I know? :confused: :D

I like them.

Is #1 a little noisy perhaps? or has it been slightly over sharpened? Either way, love the colours here. The light is a little uninspiring in #2. #3 is very pleasant, I like the flare :)

I love No1, cant see the noise so well as mentions above but the monitor here at work is shocking!
Lovely subtle colours in the sky and stroking the mid LH side. I never know with these sorts of pictures whether to raise the exposure in the foreground or not. I think if you do you have to be subtle with it as too much makes it look very artificial. Lovely silhouette of Lindisfarne somewhere I always wanted to go.

No2 Nice crisp shot ofEilean Donan, I find that flipping seaweed a real distraction, I think it would have been better to take photos of this at high tide, so the water floods out the seaweed. (see my comments at the bottom). Nice clouds and mountains in the horizon. Would have been a nice reflections if not for the weed.

No 3 love the concept and the composition. Really nice foreground with the crops and the light brushing across the top. Love the starburst of the sun. Now the 2 things I am not sure about is, the contrail in the sky and the flare. I am not an Anti Flare person but not sure about it in this shot, mainly because it draws my eye away from the bit I like best, the sun. I have contrails in some of my pictures and to be honest there in and out like a yo yo can never make up my mind. I think this one could be looked at as a leading line to the sun. I think if it were mine I would try and loose the flare and leave the trail.

So now all this stuff about light and high tide, really what amounts to “When” you take the shot?
I always think, Yes it would be great to be at a location in perfect light, or when the tides in etc. I always see the comments bringing up these things and yes of course we would all love to shoot in perfect light IF we were able too. If you’re fortunate enough to be able to it would be great and I guess that’s how the professional crack these shots, because it’s their job.

So the question is….. If you’re at a stunning location and you’re not fortunate enough to have the right light do you pull out the camera or not? I guess those clever than me look for a different angle, crop, composition.

I think at the end of the day you take the shot and hope you can get something good out of it.

PS this doesn’t apply to Steve ST4 because the great light follows him around ;):exit:

1 & 3 I really like, personally I'd leave 1 as it is, the silhouette works well. I'd might be tempted to clone out the contrail in 3 and would definitely get rid of the flare around the tree which as Bonni says only really distracts you.

I think 2 is such a frequently shot location (nothing wrong with that, great view), often in dramatic light, that it needs something a little different from composition in dull light to really appeal

Just my thoughts

Simon

1 & 3 I really like, personally I'd leave 1 as it is, the silhouette works well. I'd might be tempted to clone out the contrail in 3 and would definitely get rid of the flare around the tree which as Bonni says only really distracts you.

I think 2 is such a frequently shot location (nothing wrong with that, great view), often in dramatic light, that it needs something a little different from composition in dull light to really appeal

Just my thoughts

Simon

I agree with Simon.

Love the second and third carol. If the 3rd one never made it for your Summer landscape shot the one that did must be a point scorer for sure.

Well ynot here in lies the problem I had to choose but the question is did I choose wisely........probably not!:coat:

I love No1, cant see the noise so well as mentions above but the monitor here at work is shocking!
Lovely subtle colours in the sky and stroking the mid LH side. I never know with these sorts of pictures whether to raise the exposure in the foreground or not. I think if you do you have to be subtle with it as too much makes it look very artificial. Lovely silhouette of Lindisfarne somewhere I always wanted to go.

No2 Nice crisp shot ofEilean Donan, I find that flipping seaweed a real distraction, I think it would have been better to take photos of this at high tide, so the water floods out the seaweed. (see my comments at the bottom). Nice clouds and mountains in the horizon. Would have been a nice reflections if not for the weed.

No 3 love the concept and the composition. Really nice foreground with the crops and the light brushing across the top. Love the starburst of the sun. Now the 2 things I am not sure about is, the contrail in the sky and the flare. I am not an Anti Flare person but not sure about it in this shot, mainly because it draws my eye away from the bit I like best, the sun. I have contrails in some of my pictures and to be honest there in and out like a yo yo can never make up my mind. I think this one could be looked at as a leading line to the sun. I think if it were mine I would try and loose the flare and leave the trail.

So now all this stuff about light and high tide, really what amounts to “When” you take the shot?
I always think, Yes it would be great to be at a location in perfect light, or when the tides in etc. I always see the comments bringing up these things and yes of course we would all love to shoot in perfect light IF we were able too. If you’re fortunate enough to be able to it would be great and I guess that’s how the professional crack these shots, because it’s their job.

So the question is….. If you’re at a stunning location and you’re not fortunate enough to have the right light do you pull out the camera or not? I guess those clever than me look for a different angle, crop, composition.

I think at the end of the day you take the shot and hope you can get something good out of it.

PS this doesn’t apply to Steve ST4 because the great light follows him around ;):exit:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your cc much appreciated, Lindisfarne is a great place to visit. I went there especially to catch the sunrise, left the Borders where my mother now lives at 3 in the morning drove 2 hrs just in time for the tide going out at the back of 5am and caught the sunrise around 5.30ish. Had breakfast in one of the hotels there which allowed non-residents, did a quick tour of the island took plenty photos, had an ice cream and drove 2 hours back to the borders.........bloody knackered I can tell you!

Eilean Donan - I unfortunately hit it at the wrong time for the tide, my husband and I were away for the weekend and this was taken on our way home. The tide was on its way out and could not hang about for it coming back in. Referring to your sentance "I think at the end of the day you take the shot and hope you can get something good out of it" well this is exactly what I tried to do. I knew I would not be back that way for probably quite a long time so tried to make the most of the short while I was there.

A Field of Barley with Flare - Well this one got me scratching my head a few times, I loved the photograph but was very unsure of the flare and contrail as they are a tad controversial when in it comes to photography. I tried removing the contrail which is fine until you get to the sun, then it all seems to go a bit wrong! I removed the flare which is not as easy as it looks but looking at the photograph afterwards it sort of lost something when I took these elements away. It became sort of boring, just a field, sun and a tree with a pretty sky. I could take the flare away if you all wish and post an updated version of it just to see what you all think but I would like to leave the contrail as I think as Steve says its a good lead in to the sun.

Carol

Last edited:
Ha Ha some of that made me laugh, Carol. I have several waterfall shotswith flare that are a pain I have about 6 versions of each. Flare I have found is damn hard to remove in a lot of cases. I have several waterfall shots, no way can I make a good job of it because of where the flare was. All I ended up with was a blo99y great tiff file that still looked cack. The con trail pictures are good but I have the with an without versions can't ever decide which I like. So after posting here the consensus was without.l

I have always wanted to visit Lindisfarne, I've always thought it had this magical thing about it. I think your long trip was well worth it and I'd love to see some more.

Your right it's very controversial I guess it's because con trails are classified as a man made thing. I don't think there always an issue. I can see in your shot how it could be really hard to remove it by the sun. It's best left alone or you spend many hours faffing around in Photoshop and get nowhere.
I don't think you need to remove the flare on my account to me all photography is subjective and the picture is how you like it and that's the important thing!

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
No3 is just stunning, yes there's probably critique there, as there would be in most images, but for me it's just stunning and inspirational.

Love the second and third carol. If the 3rd one never made it for your Summer landscape shot the one that did must be a point scorer for sure.
Think I might have picked the wrong one ynot, but hey that's life! :)

I hope so, because i wasn't beating that :banana:

But then if the one you did is better........ Find out in 18 days i guess.

Good luck think you might be beating me! :)

Lovely set. With no 2, I just find the flag pole?? a little distracting, it looks like a scratch over the bridge. Not your decision where it's placed, but I think with these type of buildings it should be on the roof of the castle.

Last edited:
Back