Three legged thing tripods

Edit My Images
No
Does anyone use these and if so any good? Looking to spend £300 ish on a carbon tripod and ball head combo thats light and can support my 5Dmk3 plus 24mm 1.4L and these seem like a good option.

Thanks!

I have a Brian Evo 2 with an Airhed 1. I use mine with a 5D mk3 and assorted lenses. Very happy with it so far. It is snug fitting in the case, but as long as everything is reduced to it's shortest length it fits OK. The size is one of the reasons I got it - much smaller than the Manfrotto it replaced when closed. Also like the fact that you can remove one of the legs and use it as a monopod.

The QR plates are a bit pricey, but it does take Arca Swiss fitting plates - just bought an L shaped bracket for under £9 on ebay which works fine. Saves having the camera hanging off the side when using the Airhed - keeps all the weight through the central axis whichever way the camera is set.

I wouldn't buy one unless compact size was essential... way too reliant on center column extension and numerous leg sections IMO.
From what I've heard/seen, MeFoto is the same thing...

Thanks! The Brian Evo2 with Airhead 1 was on my shortlist, as was the Eddie which is £60 more but that one maybe unnecessary for my needs...

I spent a few weeks last year dithering between the 3LT Brian and the Mefoto Globetrotter.

I eventually went for the Mefoto because of the higher weight limit & it's done good service. It's been to Iceland (in the sea) & up Welsh mountains without a hitch :D

I went for the extra weight handling NOT for the camera kit, it lets you hang heavier stuff of the bottom for stability

I'm not knocking 3LT tripods but they look identical to the Benro ones I bought off ebay - and which were cheaper - nice bit of marketing.

Thanks for the replies. The 3LT Brian seems like a good bet to me and is reduced to £305 with the airhead ball head.

I've bought a Brian, principally to use when out and about with my Fuji XT-1. It's a very good piece of kit, if a little on the short side, but I am 6'2". I'm not sure I'd use it with my 5D3 with even the 24-105 never mind one of my big lenses. But for a lightweight carry about tripod for use with the Fuji it's what I want.

I have two... Brian and Keith. I've had them for a couple of years and I have very little to complain about. Yes, they're expensive but you get what you pay for and that's a damned good product backed up by a decent bunch of people. (y)

Seem a bit pricey to me for far east made clones, lots of similar ones at cheaper prices
Feisol might be worth a look and for that money a s/hand Gitzo

I had adrian but he broke on me last august in the middle of a shoot, when i got back i emailed them and they sent out a new brian carbon free of charge, their service is 2nd to none. im thinking of buying another one but ultra small to go with my fuji.

Got one of the newer Punks tripods for my Fuji, it's nicely made, and the Airhed works well. My only complaint is that the supplied bag IMHO is a little bit small, so it's a bit fiddly putting it away.

It's amazing how many things are like that these days. You'd think that making bags and boxes a teeny bit bigger would make the company go bust.

Not really into tripods myself but currently have a Benbo and frankly would have to have a gun put to my head before going back to a conventional centre column through the legs and just up and down tripod.

Last edited:
Back