Critique Through the Camper Van

Great shot :)

Being harsh, I think it'd have been better if she was either facing the other way or she was positioned more to the right to avoid the negative space.

She was sitting facing out of the door but I see what you mean. The bunk would prohibit her being further to the right, but facing the other way may have worked - something to keep in mind!

It is very cluttered and I found my eyes darting everywhere, lots of bright spots within the frame, lots of yellow competing elements. The model is pretty, well styled and yet a little lost amongst it all. A cleaner simpler background would have helped no end ;)

I am not sure what this image is meant to be. There is a pleasant model sitting amongst a lot of clutter and several bright patches to attract away from the model. I am sorry, but I do not like this image at all.

It is very cluttered and I found my eyes darting everywhere, lots of bright spots within the frame, lots of yellow competing elements. The model is pretty, well styled and yet a little lost amongst it all. A cleaner simpler background would have helped no end ;)

I agree. Nice idea, but too cluttered.

Just to add to the above, this is your first time with photoshop, the processing is nice and vivid. I like the look.

But, you should write:
Don't ever try to fake DoF with photoshop, it almost always looks awful.

100 times.

Background blur done well takes hours of expert work.

Taking the shot at the shallowest aperture available might take 1/1000 sec.

It's a no brainer.

Thanks for the comments, definitely something to think about regarding the shot looking cluttered.

Phil - not quite sure what you're getting at with the faking DoF comment - the background and DoF is all in camera (unless that's your point!). The photoshop work removed some stray hair, brought the eyes out a bit, and added a bit of a levels adjustment while getting rid of some sunburn! :)

I apologise if there's no 'fake' bokeh, but the background definitely looks 'odd'. Particularly around the flowers.

TBH, I didn't question your last post re the bokeh because I could see that too, but after checking the exif figured that it was a result of the PP.

Back