Critique Thruxton BSB - One more added of Walker

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I've photographed bikes before but not with my Sigma 150-500. I've done the BTCC qualifying with that lens though and yesterday I realized just how much faster bikes are than cars. I really take my hats off to you guys that get those nice crisp pans and the tele crews that film it for us to see.

So anyway I've had a quick look through and here, in no particular order, are some of my humble efforts.

1) 1/320 f6.3
thrux14_MG_3168_zps18393843.jpg

Edit: Same photo but on flickr. Any better??

#3 Josh Brookes at Thruxton 2014
by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

2) 1/640 f6.3
thrux14_MG_3148_zpsaf9d4200.jpg

3) 1/640 f6.3
thrux14_MG_3120_zps61ed22c4.jpg

4) 1/160 f10
thrux14_MG_2961_zps75b6d349.jpg

5) 1/200 f8
thrux14_MG_2590_zps4622af89.jpg

6) 1/320 f6.3
thrux14_MG_2655_zps4890594c.jpg

7 1/60 f9
thrux14_MG_2507_zpscb6a5909.jpg

Thanks for looking c&c welcome

Last edited:
All a bit on the soft side, doesn't looks like you can up the shutter much either on your panning shots.

Probably 1 is the best of those, 3 doesn't look so good with partial bikes.

All a bit on the soft side, doesn't looks like you can up the shutter much either on your panning shots.

Probably 1 is the best of those, 3 doesn't look so good with partial bikes.
I have to agree with Mikesphotaes they all look soft. What speed were you shooting at?

Damn it, I though I'd at least got #1 ok lol.

I have to admit I was sorting of testing the water with #3. I was a bit gutted I didn't get the whole bikes in as that was the only reasonably sharp one of a blast of shots. Sods law said the others in that blast that had the full bikes were blurry lol.

So basically I used aperture priority and played with the setting from the lowest the lens would go upto f10. The shutter speeds and apature are nex to the photo number (or they will be in the next 5 mins)

I did notice how much of a faster shutter I could use compered to the BTCC to get the blurred spokes etc but I had a lot of trouble panning.

Thruxton is my closest proper track and it 90 miles away so unfortunately I don't get he practice in so if you have any tips that would be great. I did think about standing next to the bypass near uss but though I might get some funny looks lol.

I'm going to have a better look through my shots and see if I have better ones.

Thanks for your comments guys (y)

PS sorry for the later reply. I've been camping since Tuesday

My advice would be to set for shutter speed, then play about until you get sharp but acceptable photos.

To be honest I ended up using manual at the BTCC and setting the shutter to get the blur and then the aperture to get the right amount of light, but it was a lot brighter. Wished I'd at least tried at the BSB. Thanks for the tip.

I've been advised plenty of times to get the shutter up high for bikes... In the 1/800 range. While it's definitely possible to pan you need to understand that the bikes and riders move significantly more than cars do so unless you are shooting on an smooth straight or constant radius turn you're gonna risk soft shots at sub 1/320. Are you shooting hand held? even some of your faster speeds seem to be effected by softness... Could be lens or body too but it's usually down to the operator :)

I'd also suggest being more aware of your framing & positioning, the early ones are spoilt by distracting backgrounds and unhelpful cropping. The last few are shot down on to the subject which leaves the dull green, grey, green stripes as backdrop... This draws even more attention to the fact the subject is soft because there's not much else going on. To combat this I'd try where possible to get down level with the subject and be conscious of what's going on behind.. A great picture doesn't have to be pin sharp, but it does need to have an overall appeal to the viewer

Last edited:
I've been advised plenty of times to get the shutter up high for bikes... In the 1/800 range. While it's definitely possible to pan you need to understand that the bikes and riders move significantly more than cars do so unless you are shooting on an smooth straight or constant radius turn you're gonna risk soft shots at sub 1/320. Are you shooting hand held? even some of your faster speeds seem to be effected by softness... Could be lens or body too but it's usually down to the operator :)

I'd also suggest being more aware of your framing & positioning, the early ones are spoilt by distracting backgrounds and unhelpful cropping. The last few are shot down on to the subject which leaves the dull green, grey, green stripes as backdrop... This draws even more attention to the fact the subject is soft because there's not much else going on. To combat this I'd try where possible to get down level with the subject and be conscious of what's going on behind.. A great picture doesn't have to be pin sharp, but it does need to have an overall appeal to the viewer

Thanks for your advice (y)

@Mikesphotaes @1dmouse @Graphix501

So I had a really fussy look through and think I've found a good sharp one, and what better rider to capture it as well. It's not cropped. Played with exposure, clarity, vibrance and a little bit with sharp in Adobe RAW.Your thoughts please.

#9 Chris Walker
1/200 f6.3 at 403mm ISO100
Hosted on 500px here
4.jpg

Last edited:
In comparison to your other shots that looks much much better. The lower angle and uncluttered background helps isolate the bike. If I was being hyper critical I would have a little more space on the left but that is nit picking. It is a nice shot so well done and it proves that you can capture a great action shot.

In comparison to your other shots that looks much much better. The lower angle and uncluttered background helps isolate the bike. If I was being hyper critical I would have a little more space on the left but that is nit picking. It is a nice shot so well done and it proves that you can capture a great action shot.

Good stuff, thank you :D
I thought I might crop a bit of the left and bottom so there's more open space on the right but wanted to post it uncropped. You don't think it's too dark?

I have some others that aren't bad either but thats the best by far so far. I've been finding reasonably sharp bikes and blurry riders. also blurry pirelli stickers on mud gaurds due to hard working front forks.

I have some others that aren't bad either but thats the best by far so far. I've been finding reasonably sharp bikes and blurry riders. also blurry pirelli stickers on mud gaurds due to hard working front forks.

I think that was mentioned earlier in this thread that the speed of the bike and any movement of the rider will always cause some blur. Others with more experience than me will will correct me if I'm wrong but it is neigh on impossible to get every part of the bike and rider pin sharp when panning.
Don't get too hung up on that.

I think that was mentioned earlier in this thread that the speed of the bike and any movement of the rider will always cause some blur. Others with more experience than me will will correct me if I'm wrong but it is neigh on impossible to get every part of the bike and rider pin sharp when panning.
Don't get too hung up on that.

Ok thanks.
So for what it's worth here's a few more, but I dont think they're a patch on the Stalker one above. These are on Photobucket though, which I don't think hosts as well as 500px.

Thrux14a _MG_2036

Thrux14a _MG_2407

Thux14a _MG_2323

Last edited:
Mike the last shot you posted is streets ahead of some of the earlier ones in my opinion. It looks sharper and composition is better with no distracting background.

Mike the last shot you posted is streets ahead of some of the earlier ones in my opinion. It looks sharper and composition is better with no distracting background.
Thanks (y)
Just need to get those shots consistently, which is hard when the bikes are only within 100miles once a year :mad:

Last edited:
Back