Critique Thurne Mill

Name
Barry-John Theobald
Edit My Images
Yes
I have not had much chance to get out recently, so I've been having a go at processing some of my photographs from earlier in the year. I captured this not long after I took up photography and I'd be interested to hear any thoughts, criticisms, suggestions for improvement, etc. The windmill is Thurne Mill in Norfolk.

Upturned,medium_large.1419895847.jpg

The image doesn't seem balanced to me for some reason. Technically It's correct but I think the arms of he windmill are strong leading lines that lead to blank open space. I like the boats in the picture but do not like their placement. I think this is a good example of why you should really work a shot. Moving all around and shooting from different angles and heights could of presented you of a more pleasing composition. I'm sorry if I seem over critical, I like the subject but not the composition. The other thing I would consider is cleaning up the noise some in post.

There are two things that don't sit right for me in this image.
The first is the darkness of it. There's some nice foreground etail which has become lost in the "gloom".
The second is the closeness of the top sail and the bottom boat to the edge of the frame. They look cramped.
Like Shayne, I might have moved around a little, perhapd get a more acute angle on the row of boats.
That really is a beautiful old mill, and if I recall was featured in a property programme recently.

Thanks @viv1969 - I have many different images - I spent an hour or so photographing from different angles. This was the one that seemed to catch my eye the most. I'll go back over the others taking on board the feedback and see what else I have to work with.

As much as I think I'd like a slightly different angle on the windmill I actually love the darkness, i love black and white and if there is added grit in there then that's a plus, there are so many pretty windmill shots it's nice to see something more eerie :D

Thanks for the feedback @Cg_Girl. I also love dark black and white photography. I often cannot help myself and sometimes wonder if I over do it! I am definitely going to look through the other images from this day and see if there is a better angle. Now that's it's been pointed out, I think maybe more to the right and face on to the windmill, and lower down so the curvature of the row of boats leads to the mill.

Oh heavens...the colour version is lovely.

Back