Tilt or Lean

Edit My Images
No
lean.jpg

lean_2.jpg

I rather like these two. I didn't see the person on the bench at first and I like the deep blacks on their clothes. Bit closer and lower, looking up might have been an option. #2, bit closer for me, although the darkness adds to the atmosphere. I like the can on the RH side and what looks like a mobile phone.

Cheers.

Thanks All, much appreciated ........ I seem to keep going back to these shots, (maybe I find these two shots quite annoying?), I took them and others before and after visiting an ("art") exhibition titled "A Bigger Picture" ..... the "structure" was in the inner courtyard outside the Exhibition......... and maybe I felt that the external activity had more to say about the title than some of the internal exhibits.

Last edited:
What on earth is going on with the "body" on the bench in the first one?
It looks as if the head has been compressed onto the lower chest.

What on earth is going on with the "body" on the bench in the first one?
It looks as if the head has been compressed onto the lower chest.

Hi Brian

If I remember correctly the person had either "passed out/intoxicated" or was asleep - she was clutching a handbag - laying flat and her head was not in view - the image was not really about that level of detail

Hi Brian

If I remember correctly the person had either "passed out/intoxicated" or was asleep - she was clutching a handbag - laying flat and her head was not in view - the image was not really about that level of detail
Ah! Thanks for that - it just looked really weird.
Looking at it again I can see it differently.

As for the actual picture, I'm finding a conflict between the way the sculpture leans and the converging/leaning verticals of the building.
I know it must have been difficult to take without tilting the camera, but the way the building is leaning upsets the perspective of the sculpture.
It's the way the building is leaning to the left but the sculpture is leaning to the right and I think they are fighting each other.
I tried a perspective crop, but even that doesn't really overcome the problem.
View attachment 23566

That looks better Brian ……… unusually for me, as I take mostly wildlife and Bird shots, I was not really bothered about getting any in the few I took technically good. I just wanted to record the atmosphere I felt on that January evening outside rather than inside.

The following is the review of the Exhibition by Brian Sewell - I am in no way near having an real knowledge but my feelings were much the same as the critic, who put his views over so "eloquently"

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/...er-picture-royal-academy--review-7439570.html

Here's another, just a few metres away from the other two

statue.jpg

Last edited:
I'm feeling that first one, and that last one very much.. but mainly that first one. What a bizarre image... just the oddness of it demands attention.

I'm feeling that first one, and that last one very much.. but mainly that first one. What a bizarre image... just the oddness of it demands attention.

David, it's funny but I posted them because of the "art" discussions ……….(I do not consider the above as photographic "art" they are just records to me of my feelings on the day) ……… the first and the last in this context are more about two very different directions (of travel) in several ways, the exhibition included and how one ignores the other ….….. the second one I'm just waiting for (her) to throw the plastic cup on the floor and fall backwards, the hat makes me feel that the woman is central european (climate)……… I did not have time to stand around ……. it was cold

But I never like to explain anything as I believe that the appreciation of art is very personal and descriptions, (even by the artist), influence the viewer and they should not

Last edited:
But I never like to explain anything as I believe that the appreciation of art is very personal and descriptions, (even by the artist), influence the viewer and they should not
That's a valid stance, certainly on a visceral level, but there can be times when a little explanation helps you 'get' something about an intent or process. The same applies to titles really (I often append titles to my Flickr postings and maybe really shouldn't, but then it's only Flickr ... )

Your image 1 comes over as a cluttered snap with a stimulating twist of disturbance in the slumped figure. My thought is that if you could have gone in harder from an appropriate angle on the figure and bench the image could have achieved a more distilled power. Your image 3 isn't resolved enough - too many disparate elements fighting for attention, and the eye just flies restlessly around the picture space. Image 2 is the most coherent.

I've just had another thought, stimulated by following your Sewell link and reflecting on Hockney's stuff, that one of the things that painters do continuously as they work is organise the picture space. It's an unfolding organic process that happens over time - every mark made on the canvas alters the dynamic.

That's a valid stance, certainly on a visceral level, but there can be times when a little explanation helps you 'get' something about an intent or process. The same applies to titles really (I often append titles to my Flickr postings and maybe really shouldn't, but then it's only Flickr ... )

Your image 1 comes over as a cluttered snap with a stimulating twist of disturbance in the slumped figure. My thought is that if you could have gone in harder from an appropriate angle on the figure and bench the image could have achieved a more distilled power. Your image 3 isn't resolved enough - too many disparate elements fighting for attention, and the eye just flies restlessly around the picture space. Image 2 is the most coherent.

Thanks, my favourite is image 2

Last edited:
Back