Tintagel

Name
Drew
Edit My Images
No
Looking back at the old gate to the castle from a hill near the keep.

20140222_Personal_English-Heritage-Tintagel_QU6A1934.jpg

If you get the chance to retake this it would benefit from some more sympathetic light. Morning or evening, catching the gold of a low sun, is ideal. It's not impossible to take a good image in the middle of the day, but you still need good light, and a dramatic sky helps. Shooting in a grey overcast will always give flat light. The problem here is that nothing stands out. If the castle was well lit and separated from the background instead of blending in with it, you'd have a much better image.

I'd agree the lighting is a bit "flat" and would be better at a different time of day, although the sky is interesting and I think could be emphasized a bit more.

It's a bit "wide angle" and although it probably looked nice when you were there, I think the biggest problem is there is no real point of interest, although you have a nice leading diagonal running up to the ruins on the central rock.
The right hand side is not really adding much to the image and if anything, the wall tends to lead the eye away from the centre.
It could easily be cropped on the right by about 1/3, and I also find the row of houses very distracting.

I can't remember the exact layout there, but I think if you could have moved to left and down a bit, nearer to where the people are, you could then take the ruins against the dramatic sky, or at least against a less cluttered background.

Back