Tips for Photographing The Pooch

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
Decided to take my SLR out on our walk yesterday evening as we decided to trek through some fields.

Of 197 pictures, here are 3 of the "better" ones.

IMG_0980_b.jpg

Auto Colour, Auto Contrast and Auto Levels applied in Photoshop

IMG_0982_b.jpg

IMG_1047_b.jpg

Auto Contrast applied in Photoshop

IMG_1047_c.jpg

I was in "M" mode, and manual focus. I was playing with different shutter speeds, apertures and ISO settings. Because of him running around, I had a fast shutter speed - ranging from 1/250 to 1/400, however, I realised this meant having a high ISO as I wanted a wide DOF (had F to around 14)

Any tips on how to get better pictures of dogs in action? Love him running through the long grass, and also bouncing along to find his stick

Thanks

Just wondering why you would make is hard on yourself by using manual focus on a moving object? I'd be using continuous focus mode if the little guy was in constant motion... and down a lot lower, rather than shooting from above.

Not sure TBH. I think I was thinking AF wouldn't "keep up". I did squat/kneel at times, but those pics are pants.

But AF aside, what about the other settings?

BTW, I'm using a Canon EOS 1100D with the standard lens

Ideally you need to be at eye level to make an engaging pic of a dog!
Has as already been said "why manual focus?".
I would be in shutter priority with a fast shutter speed to freeze the movement,continuous focus and burst mode!
Single point focus and try an keep it over the dogs eyes!
There's no harm in opening up the aperture either!
Can't really comment on the auto photoshop corrections as on my phone but it don't look good on my phone!
Maybe someone who's on a decent screen can comment?

I agree with Bethy, plus why do you want a wide DOF? You only need the pooch to be in focus and a larger aperture will give you a fast shutter speed at lower ISO. Work on nailing the focus using continuous focussing (try back-button focusing if your camera lets you set that up).
Final word, exposure is going to be tricky in order to get some detail in his dark eyes and face, you might have to overexpose the background a little to do this.
Hope this helps.

J

Those shutter speeds aren't really fast enough for a running dog.
I usually aim for 1/1000, more for a greyhound or other fast dog.

I'd never use manual focus, I wouldn't stand a chance and all of the photos above are soft.
You also need to get much closer so that your dog takes up a lot more of the frame, unless you have a really nice background.

As others have said, you need to get down on their level, you might get a bit muddy but it's worth it.

Try to avoid auto settings on Photoshop, they've pushed the magenta way too far in that last shot.

Thanks. Really tired this afternoon, but may take the camera on this evening's walk or wait until the weekend.

Good advice here, I'd echo the points above:

- Shoot in good light; less ISO required and AF tracking tends to be better too.
- Set it to Tv mode, high shutter speed, Center Point AF, Continuous Shooting. Check ISO settings are sane.
- Get down low
- Half press shutter button, frame the dog bang in the centre of the frame, allow the AF point to settle over pooch for a half second as he/she runs toward you
- Hold that button for 5 frames or so, try to pan smoothly if the dog moves off centre

You'd be surprised how well the AF can keep up in good light with a nice big target in the frame. Shouldn't be much that needs doing in post to tweak the image, I sometimes have to lighten midtones a little to bring out details in the face - you can do this in curves/levels in photoshop if I remember correctly. Have fun :)

Corn Dog ! by CORPY, on Flickr

Getting down to eye level helps , heres one of my attempts at our Hector ! the exif data is on the flickr page !

Back