Tit id

RKC

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
It was visiting a garden with feeders so thinking Marsh Tit but could be completely wrong as more often than not :oops: :$

IMG_2030 by rkcphotos, on Flickr

It's a Marsh Tit or a Willow Tit however without hearing them, they're not that easy to tell apart.

The Marsh Tit tends to have a smaller black bib and the Willow Tit tends to have more solid white cheeks. The Marsh Tit also tends to have a more glossy black head.

The wing feathers are another thing to help tell them apart but they're not clear from this angle.

Whilst the bird in your shot appears to have the more solid white cheeks - it does appear to have a small bib and glossy head so I'd lean towards Marsh Tit.

Could be wrong though ;)

Reactions: den
It's a Marsh Tit or a Willow Tit however without hearing them, they're not that easy to tell apart.

The Marsh Tit tends to have a smaller black bib and the Willow Tit tends to have more solid white cheeks. The Marsh Tit also tends to have a more glossy black head.

The wing feathers are another thing to help tell them apart but they're not clear from this angle.

Whilst the bird in your shot appears to have the more solid white cheeks - it does appear to have a small bib and glossy head so I'd lean towards Marsh Tit.

Could be wrong though ;)

Cheers Phil

Could be wrong though ;)

sums the differences up

Yep - but they do confuse - I'd go for Marsh but the bird appears to have solid white cheeks just to confuse
The bib is right for the Marsh
The Marsh has supposed to have whitish marks on the upper bill - no marks on the Willow - but I reckon that they don't all have this
If you are a song and call expert - they are easy to tell apart - but I'm not

have you got a shot from the back Bob?

Last edited:
Cheers Chris, all is well here, just editing (deleting first Escot shots)

Just had look Bill, none of the back, according to that report from Nigel about 90+% have the markings on the upper bill, being as it was visiting a garden feeders it sort of rules out the Willow as they seldom do that and in my case something rare as that is simply not going to happen ;)

Reactions: RKC
Back