To grey or not to grey

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. So I have a trip booked up to Iceland with the oh/bh for a few days after new year. I have been seriously considering investing in a wide angle lens. Having moved through the options such as 16-35mm, 17-40mm, tilt lenses etc I have settled on a Zeiss 21mm (shooting with a 5dii). So, looking online I see a pretty good price at just under £1200. It is an import from France. I'm assuming that means it'll be a grey import. Is that correct and is that a bad thing? I could shell out the extra £300ish and get from an apparent uk retailer but is it worth doing so? One thing I'm thinking is as the lens doesn't have auto focus or image stabilisation there are no motors to go wrong therefore maybe gets me leaning more in favour of going grey. Hmm, any thoughts and any recommendations on good retailers to consider for said purchase?

Fair point. No apparently not. How does one get granted access to the classifieds?

Ok got it. Not there yet I guess. Can't be far from 60 days though. Thanks all the same.

Buying from France (and other EU countries) would not make a product a grey import unless it was imported into that country but intended for another market.

Bob

I'd go wider for iceland if your heading north for the lights.

The zeiss is a cracking lens and will be fantastic for the scenery of which there is plenty!

Nice one thanks folks. Having now looked at the difference in pics on flikr from a 15mm - 21mm, I'm kinda coming round to your way of thinking Alex. Bit of a stretch on cost but it would be ideal. Hmm. Thanks again.

You could always hire a lens just for the trip, save some money.
Or look at the samyang 14mm f2.8 and 24mm f1.4 which are great for aurora.

Back