To grip, or not to grip, that is the question?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
with, be lost without thet vertical buttons!

the nongripped bodies just look like a Fisher Price My First Toy Camera.

I've got one, but find the whole camera a little heavy if I am wandering around for a day shooting with a battery grip and 70-200 attached. I also remove it for landscapes as I am unsure whether the camera is more prone to movement when on a tripod with a BG attached.

In fact, I have rarely used it since getting it... maybe I should sell it? :thinking:

I tend to find the grip handy to rest on my shoulder albeit that i have to bring my shoulder forward a tad but it makes for a good non-shake support... (unless i laugh of course!!!) :LOL:

Have a gripped and a non-gripped 40D at the moment, the grip is a must for me as I like the extra buttons for portrait, will be getting a second grip at some point for the other one.

im 6ft 5 ish and my hands are fairly big, even the size of a 5d without a grip is just too small the grip has definately helped.

Definitely with a grip!

As stated above, the vertical buttons and second battery make it worth the money, but I wish it looked a bit more 'integrated' with the lines of my 40D!

My next camera is definitely going to be a 1Ds (mk whatever when I can afford one!) because the integrated grip is very nice!

I've just ordered one so time to find out... :D

For me, it depends - using the 450D then I prefer it with a grip, as it just feels a bit small (I've got a bunch of banana's for hands) With my EOS-5 I was happy without the grip, mainly because it was a good deal larger than the 450D, but also because the EOS-5 balances alright with heavier lenses on it's own (indeed the grip for the eos-5 is mainly fresh air and a couple of buttons - doesn't even double up as additional battery space)

Not much choice on the 1D, but I prefer the 5D ungripped as it's quite a big body anyway. Back in the days of the 350D, I needed a grip because I have unwieldy big fat hands and it was just too small!

Both. I prefer a grip when using a long/zoom lens on my 40D, but do not find it necessary with shorter glass. Saying that, the grip does stay on all of the time.

The grip gives much more purchase when hand-holding my 100-400L. It balances the weight better and feels like it gives an extra stop of stability.

I really dont see the point in adding extra weight to my camera.:shrug:

Grip if using long lenzerz,just to balance things up.

With film camera's I always used grips as back then it saved having to wind on !

Bought this one for my contax RTS2 but it broke the camera during first week's use so that put me off them !

http://mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/contax/shared/mdwinder/pmdw6/index.htm

think it took 12 AA batteries !!

The grip for my 20D stay on all the time, extra battery means you can shoot all day without worrying about changing batteries, it balances out the camera and lenses, don't notice it, feels just part of the camera and not very heavy. It doesn't really exist for my 1D, as its sort of built in already. Friends with the smaller cameras, 350D etc said it definitely improves the whole feel, hold and comfort of use having a grip fitted. I would tend to agree.

Peter

I think I would be lost with out my grip as soon as the 50D arrived I was looking for a grip straight away.
I do think alot depends on thew size of your hands and if male or female as its all extra weight

grips are the ultimate penis extension imo :p

i have a non gripped 40D and a long lens.
Which takes a 1000+ shots before needing a battery change and god gave me a very serviceable wrist so i have no need for the extra buttons.
but if it makes you happy..... ;) :D

i have small hands but prefer the grip on my 5d which isn't exactly a small camera.

for me, the benefit of having double the battery power is worth the added weight even though it isn't the best looking of things.

why can't i just get myself a 1ds instead?! :love:

This is one of those pieces of kit that I feel that I 'ought' to have, but haven't brought one yet as I have heard that they add weight and bulk to the camera and I'm a girlie with littleish hands ....so here's a question - are there any other ladies out there who have thoughts on this?
Ta
Kristy

Love using my D80 with a grip, it just feels more sturdy when using it with any sizeable lens with a speedlight on-top

And of-course the advantage of not looking 'special' when you are taking portrait orientated photos :p

If the camera is designed properly balanced in the first place, a grip shouldn't be necessary :ducks and covers:

:nikon:

A grip balances my camera nicely with the 500 stuck up front and feels more comfy in my largish hands

Back