To The Lighthouse

It's...interesting.
Was that the colour of the sky?
The lighthouse itself seems more in focus than the 'yellow mounds'...
I think I prefer my negative space on the left.
Saying all that, I quite like it though.:LOL:

Looks a little washed out, like a watercolour.
I would move the light house to the left a little.
I do like :)

Thanks, the sky was white/grey and fairly cool looking straight out of the camera, I tinted it towards the colour of the yellow mounds which are grass on sand dunes and not too far from the original colour, I slightly blurred most of the image except the lighthouse.

Glad you like it :)

I think I prefer my negative space on the left.
Interesting in my mind neg space on the right kind of gives it a looking forwards feel, on the left would be looking back, just me?

Probably o_O

I also like the watercolour effect, it's pleasing on the eye ... but is the lighthouse leaning very slightly to the right, or is it an illusion?

Interesting in my mind neg space on the right kind of gives it a looking forwards feel, on the left would be looking back, just me?

Probably o_O

If I was looking to hang it on my wall, as it looks 'painterly'... I would like the lighthouse moved over to the right.
Sometimes, I don't stress about all this looking forwards and backwards lark, just how pleasing the image looks to me :LOL:
I see what you are saying though.
And, I still quite like it as it is.

And to me ‘forwards‘ is to the right :(

So the light house needs to be left a little, so the impression is that when the lamp is lit, it shines out to sea.

I also like the watercolour effect, it's pleasing on the eye ... but is the lighthouse leaning very slightly to the right, or is it an illusion?
You know, until you said that it looked fine to me :) and the camera was level when I shot it. I think it might be because the camera was not completely square-on to the side of the lighthouse closest to us so perspective is putting the corners a bit off, I might tweak it.

Watercolour is what I was going for, thanks.

WOW a splendid photograph, I so love it's soft approach, a beautiful painterly effect - wonderful photography..!!

You should have that professionally printed large, exquisite Sir.

Regards;
Peter

WOW a splendid photograph, I so love it's soft approach, a beautiful painterly effect - wonderful photography..!!

You should have that professionally printed large, exquisite Sir.

Regards;
Peter
Thanks, I am going to print it :)

That works really well for me Chris - probably no surprise there. ;) At first I thought you might have been doing another Orton effect image.

I don't 'get' the title of To The Lighthouse and don't see a forwards/backwards movement in the image, but there's enough simplicity in both the elements of the picture and the colour palette to let the imagination work with this picture. (y)

This ethereal production being not dissimilar to such utopian scenes hanging in 'paintings' stores

Even to promote frames, such stores would benefit with ease. Neat image apprentice.

A soupçon gem ・‿・

Hi Chris.

Lovely image.

The only thing I would play around with is maybe making it a tad more 16x9 in shape that said i'm sure you have done this and decided this looks better.

Love the mood and colour pallete.

You really have captured that water colour feeling.

Well done.

Gaz

(Not read previous comments)

I like it Chris. Has a painterly feel to it and an overall feeling of calm and serenity. Subject placement looks bob on, although to my taste it could stand to lose a bit off the top and/or a desaturation of the blues in the sky (just de-blueing them a bit). There's a streak of white cloud that starts in the middle of the image and goes off to the left. That's where I'd cut it. Don't know if it would make things any better without seeing it, but either way, well worth printing out on a nice matt paper.

Hi Chris.

Lovely image.

The only thing I would play around with is maybe making it a tad more 16x9 in shape that said i'm sure you have done this and decided this looks better.

Love the mood and colour pallete.

You really have captured that water colour feeling.

Well done.

Gaz
(Not read previous comments)

I like it Chris. Has a painterly feel to it and an overall feeling of calm and serenity. Subject placement looks bob on, although to my taste it could stand to lose a bit off the top and/or a desaturation of the blues in the sky (just de-blueing them a bit). There's a streak of white cloud that starts in the middle of the image and goes off to the left. That's where I'd cut it. Don't know if it would make things any better without seeing it, but either way, well worth printing out on a nice matt paper.

I toyed with cropping some off the top but I liked the sense of space above the lighthouse. I am now wondering if a bit off the top balanced out with a bit off the bottom might work better although I have a feeling that I have got used to seeing it in this format now and other formats will take a bit of getting used to.

I normally like pano shots, but in this case I think it needs the space above the cloud bank to keep the feel of openness.

Thoughts please

ToTheLighthouse by Chris H, on Flickr
A beautiful, high key image given a wash in gold. I love the pastel tones. It gives me a sense that Chris created this out of memory and a fond memory at that. If it were mine, I would call it something like "fond memories" because although the lighthouse is the image focus, it is really about the mood that this image conveys. A serie of pastel, narrow tonal range high key images along these lines would be wonderful.

A beautiful, high key image given a wash in gold. I love the pastel tones. It gives me a sense that Chris created this out of memory and a fond memory at that. If it were mine, I would call it something like "fond memories" because although the lighthouse is the image focus, it is really about the mood that this image conveys. A serie of pastel, narrow tonal range high key images along these lines would be wonderful.
Many thanks Pavel, and welcome to Talk Photography

Probably o_O

I like the negative space on the right because this is where the light is coming from. With light being reflective of hope then to me it comes across as looking forwards towards hope, perhaps after having weathered a stormy period of darkness.

The whole style of editing works well for me, it looks like a quality painting which suits the subject perfectly in my opinion. Definitely worthy of going up on the wall.

It looks like OTT processing to me - I may be wrong - still a nice image

I personally prefer a more natural image - I agree it would look nice on a wall though

like this edit - using a colour balance correction in Photoshop - Curves

7n4Zs6F.jpg

Les :)

Back