Tobacco Filter

Name
Lionel
Edit My Images
No
Thought I would post this one. An old building near me this evening. The other side is slightly more interesting but flat tonight, (and there are dwellings in the background). Tobacco filter used, and a touch of post toning and detail extraction but no overt colour adjustment or additional saturation.

by LionelM06, on Flickr

I really like this, the filter certainly suits the image. Excellent work.

I like the image for the composition it works well but for me the colours are OTT I'd like to see a version shot without the filter...also there looks to be a tiny bit of halo developing around the structure, the big question though is what is the structure?

Thanks Matthew. I'll try to get a version without filter posted later but I think the colours make this one, even if it is a tad un-natural. And you are right about the halo. Thought I had managed to avoid it but on looking again it does show a little bit down the left side where the ivy is. The site is an old WW2 airfield but I don't know what the actual structure is.

The halo-ing is evident along the length of the roof too, and on the 2nd structure.
I like the composition very much, but the colour - for me - is just too orange.

Now that with just a few minor tweaks to white balance to warm it a little and vibrancy just to give it a little pop would really work well and have impact while still looking realistic (y)

Woaah - that's full on ;)

I've not used the likes of a tobacco filter since my film days and with the aforementioned evident PP - it's tricky to comment on 'just' the use of the filter.

With regards to the subsequent 'No Filter' shot - are we talking about a PP Tobacco filter here or a real filter ?

Thanks all. Matthew, I have warmed the WB on this a fair bit and was hesitant to push it any more. Agree it could do with more pop though. Phil, yes, lol, full on is what I was gong for. And I still like the filter'd version. I think it suits the subject. And yes, it's a real filter. The unfiltered version is a different shot. Toby, near Lisburn in Northern Ireland. I have photographed them a few times, including getting in close with a wide angle, overcast sky, etc. I think this is the best so far. Not finished yet though!!

Back