Today's disparate offerings... (extra shot added, you lucky people!)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
First up, and similar to someone else on here, I bought a butterfly rearing kit. Treated this first attempt more as a chance to view what happens through the process and then do it again with a good idea of how to set up for the shots I want. Coudn't resist getting a few snapshots when we released them today.

Painted Lady (Vanessa Cardui) by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Also got a nice shot (I think at least) of the chocolate vine. It gave me some fun water drop shots a few weeks back, and presented me with an opportunity today. I love the foliage on this from new growth at this stage to the lovely shade of green they end up as.

Easter chocolate by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

And to finish, less of a macro, but in miniature nonetheless, I received a jokey challenge on another forum to stop with the insect shots, and 'go and take a picture of a lonely boat'.

As I'd bought a railway miniature fishing boat model absolutely ages ago, my mind raced with how I could actually do this quickly. Soon ruled out floating it in cups of glasses, and then remembered I had some garden gravel for top-dressing plant pots to hand, so set about seeing what I could fashion. Set up a little scene in an oven tray and this was the result. Not bad for a half hour project start to finish!!

lonely boat... by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Excellent stuff Mark and hope the people on other forum appreciate the lonely boat very creative.

Though suspect youll get a few more challenges.

Top quality Mark as always. Like the little boat shot, very good. (y)

Mark - so good to look at your beautiful butterfly shots (y)

And the bonus of the boat which just goes to show there are things you can shoot on a wet day - very effective & food for thought for me to get my brain into more creative mode :eek:

Beautiful butterfly portraits I would not have known that these were captive ones really nice natural setting with an out of focus background that shows him off a treat
The boat is great too:)

Cheers all!

Mark - so good to look at your beautiful butterfly shots (y)

And the bonus of the boat which just goes to show there are things you can shoot on a wet day - very effective & food for thought for me to get my brain into more creative mode :eek:

Actually a dry day tbf, here's a bonus pic of my makeshift set up, put together concept to finished photo in about 25 mins....

XhLSXiml.jpg

Firstly the boat set up- now that is cool too see and i think has probably given alot ideas that these things can be done anywhere with a little imagination- Thanks for sharing:D

As for the update... damn it's jumping out the screen at me- Ace work- Love it(y)

What a great set of images. I really like them all. The first is my favourite (great pose by the butterfly there, looks like it's just swooped in). The vine shot is lovely too, but the boat is amazing. I wasn't sure if it was a full sized boat with the tilt-shift treatment or a miniature. That landscape you have created is spot on (it still looks like a real beach even in the over tray shot). Really great creative stuff.

Then to top it all off you present us with a brilliant portrait stack. Is it my birthday or something? ;)

The portrait shot is amazing
Brilliant details what a great addition to your earlier superb shots:)

Actually a dry day tbf, here's a bonus pic of my makeshift set up, put together concept to finished photo in about 25 mins..

Thanks Mark really appreciate you giving away few little secrets (y)

Back