Tokina vs Sigma vs Tamron

Name
jonathan
Edit My Images
No
Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8 AF £479.99

Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM - Nikon Fit £579.99

Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 Di II LD AF SP Aspherical Lens (IF) - Nikon Fit £379.99

whats your experiences on, quality, reliabilalty, build and value for money.

really would like a wide angle lens and not sure which one to buy, but at the same time not sure if i wanna spend nikon money....

been looking at pics on flickr but cant really find any comparisions..

this lens will be mounted on a D300 /D80

And I'd avoid the Sigma, it is no good even at f/8.

Sorry, but this is just incorrect, perhaps the canon versions you may have tried might have been rubbish, but I have the Nikon mount of the 10-20 Sigma, and it's damn sharp throughout the aperture range. My vote goes for the Sigma if you can get it at a decent price.

The Tokina gets a really got reputation, many seem to rate it as the perfect partner for the 17-55mm Nikon lens, but the only one from that list that I've had any long-term experience if was the Sigma and I sold it not long after buying.....

I have the Tokina 11-16 on a Canon mount and its superb. Build quality is excellent, great IQ, I chose it over the Sigma but I cannot comment on the Nikon.

well i really dont have any funds at the moment, but seems like the tokina is the route to go...

I had 2 sigmas and neither were any good, too soft for me.

Bought one, sold it as it was soft, thought I would buy another hoping it would be better but sadly it was not.

Maybe I was unlucky but this was my experience of them.

The Tokina seems to get good reviews everywhere.

Sorry to hi-jack. But I am in the same position, well will be in a few months.. also the Canon 10-22?

I had similar choices to you and after a fair bit of reading up different reviews I plumped for the Tokina, and ordered one from Kerso... I'm just waiting for that knock on the door (or more likely red card through the letterbox).
Kind regards,
Impatient of Binfield.

I had similar choices to you and after a fair bit of reading up different reviews I plumped for the Tokina, and ordered one from Kerso... I'm just waiting for that knock on the door (or more likely red card through the letterbox).
Kind regards,
Impatient of Binfield.
how much for

Sorry to hi-jack. But I am in the same position, well will be in a few months.. also the Canon 10-22?

I considered the Canon, it is reported to be L glass quality IQ wise but I really could not tell the difference on a cropped shot between the Tokina and the Canon.
The price point and 2.8 aperture of the Tokina won it for me.

Given the choice I would go for the Tokina as it has no natural overlap with my existing range and would compliment the rest of my lenses. Also the shots I have seen with it are stunning. Their 12-24mm also gets a great rep but may not be wide enough for everyone.

how much for
Well it may be a bit unfair to say as I know he changes his prices weekly with FXrates and stuff, but it's fair to say that including delivery it was noticably cheaper than the price you quoted in the OP - not enough to go partying on but enough to make it worthwhile. He has a post in the FS section, contact him through that and he'll send you a current price - it may well be cheaper than I paid depending on how the wind blows for you!

I looked at them all and went for the Tokina due to its f/2.8 capability and its mega sharpness at all apertures. Not been disappointed with it yet and have used it a lot. Loads of mine in here.

i really WISH i knew about this lens like a couple of months ago....

i was in hongkong and just got a price wow i could have picked it up cheap...##

i was like 350 in hk

Can anyone with the Tokina comment on its low light abilities, I have just bought a D90 with kit lens and am travelling to Vietnam in 3 weeks, I am wondering whether the Tokina would be a suitable night lens as well as for capturing the landscapes etc.

I know it seems an odd comparison but I am torn between a 35mm 1.8 or the Tokina, mainly for night shot scenarios. I am concerned that the 35mm isn't wide enough but on the plus side it has the larger aperture.

Not sure how much you want to deal with ebay purchases but I have seen it on there for £420, obv. grey import but people on here have been pleased with theirs and they also come with the Tokina 2 year warranty. Search for fujisunrise on ebay.

Back