Toned-mapped portraits

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Interested to know your thoughts on these - single images toned-mapped in HDR Efex.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

p159294616-6.jpg

p931247674-6.jpg

The lighting in the first one is a little uneven for my taste with one side of his face being a little too dark. I don't mind the background texture showing through, but might like it better if it was even across the image behind him, rather than being effectively vignetted around the subject's outline.

The shadow over his left eye in the second one doesn't work for me, although the overall lighting is more even.

Interesting shots, though. I think the texture and tones are generally pretty good. Nice work.

I think the images are great as photos but not as hdr then again they may look better if this was tonned down a good bit so you still get the gritty feel :)
Just my thoughts. (ignore ifyou like)

Gaz

What a great model to photograph but, like Gary, I feel there is scope for HDR but no so much as I reckon you would still get the effect if it was toned down (y)

I think the process would work well for something like a CD cover or poster. I'm not sure about it for a portrait print though.

Steve.

Thanks for all your comments - I deliberately went for a fairly heavy HDR look, but I guess they could have worked well toned done a bit - will have another play!

Phil

I like them as they are. They don't look like photos mind. Doesn't take anything away from them though, I would happily hang them.
Matt

Back