Torn between F2.8 lens or filters

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Having played with some 'pro' glass the other week I realise now the difference that 'good' glass makes. So I have been toying with the idea of a Tamron/Sigma 17-50 f2.8 (not exactly pro but nor am I)

Although at the same time I am loving all these ND filter shots appearing on the forum.

I know the 'investment' between filters and a lens is a little different (well depending on how many filters you buy)

But I have a baber on the way and am only allowed one last purchase before Mrs Yoshi diverts all funds to the kiddy bank.

So, help me rationalise which one should be my last purchase (for a while any way)

I'm in the same position as you almost. Just found out I've got a kid on the way and want to make the last purchase count. For me new glass wins hands down over anything, which is why I'm looking to buy the Canon 70-200mm L IS USM before she diverts the funds to some hideous pram travel system/death star lookalike :D

how bout the lens, and one of them welding glass filters??(the filter only £2 inc delivery i think)

Although at the same time I am loving all these ND filter shots appearing on the forum.

If that's the "ultimate" ND filter you are after - look at this thread - around a couple of quid only. So then you can spend the rest of your money on a nice lens

haha yea the £2 welding glass. I'll have to seach fleabay I think the original supplier has run out :LOL:

So the general feeling is the glass eh....Oh dear, now I have to decide between the tamron and the sigma judging by previouse posts, that's not an easy decision either

That's what I'd suggest, go for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (I've got one and it's awesome!), then a £2 welding glass filter and you're laughing!

haha yea the £2 welding glass. I'll have to seach fleabay I think the original supplier has run out :LOL:

So the general feeling is the glass eh....Oh dear, now I have to decide between the tamron and the sigma judging by previouse posts, that's not an easy decision either

"haha" or not - the fact is that it is very good for the money... There are plenty of other suppliers - this one sells it with polished sides which makes is safe and ready to be used in Cokin filter holder.

I'm scratching my head a bit here, but why pay for decent glass, then put a cheap lens (The filter) in front of it to degrade the IQ?

I'm scratching my head a bit here, but why pay for decent glass, then put a cheap lens (The filter) in front of it to degrade the IQ?

I think that the idea is to only use the welding glass for a few special shots and otherwise use the lens minus the extra slab.

"haha" or not - the fact is that it is very good for the money...
I meant aha..... a £2 welding filter is not a laughing matter.
I think I agree with Chris321, get the glass and the £2 'filter' to play with on the odd shot.

Cheers

Don't think of it as ruining a great lens with a cheap filter, chances are the OP, like any of us, will give long exposures a go, then the urge will pass, and move on to the next big thing.

If you spend all your money on the filter, when you grow tired of long exposures, you're a bit stuck, whereas if you bought a good lens, you've still got a good lens. If, having used the welding glass, the OP likes the effect so much, they can look into saving up for a proper 10 stop ND to further improve the effect! Just my thinking anyway!

Chris

If you go for the lens now, it will be much easier to justify adding a cheap(ish) filter or adaptor ring every now and again in the future. Less noticable too (y)

okay, lens it is, tamron me thinks, now to find it the cheapest I can

Yeah - why buy old Holga's, Lensbaby, cheap manual lenses or do some DIY contraptions with the bits of hardware from B&Q and old lenses from eBay...

The point is that you don't have to spend thousands of pounds to get equally good (of not better) results in photography - all you need is a desire to do it, patience and thinking "out of the box".

Buy the lens, sell some of your less used kit (your signature shows a lot of gear) and then buy the filters - you're a winner however you look at it :)

yep thinking the 18-105 vr could go (some way) to justifying the tamron Not sure the 50 - 105 would be missed and VR rarely gets used (plus I have a 70-300). Thinking about selling the D40 too but it's hard to let go.:shrug:

Back