Tornado...yet again

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Captured this morning on a run from Hedge End Southampton to Hastings

IMG_3597.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

It was the only angle I could get and with the shadow in the cutting made the steam a bit contrasty relative to the engine.

I would say in the light of your comment not a location to use again in the future, then there must be others where a less narrow angle is needed.

I wasn't entirely sure it was running else I would have gone to a better location, so a 5 min walk from my house seemed a reasonable compromise.

The lighting was against you but it's an exciting shot regardless.

I suppose that if one had time to plan it, then shooting a bracket of three for an HDR may have solved it.

How would you be able to merge three separate shots of a moving subject to produce an HDR image? :thinking:

You merge the blown out areas only, such as steam, and use a shadows / highlight tool to lift the darks.

It was the only angle I could get and with the shadow in the cutting made the steam a bit contrasty relative to the engine..
I had a similar situation with Polar Express (see post) without the contrasty light.

Last edited:
How would you be able to merge three separate shots of a moving subject to produce an HDR image? :thinking:

Shoot in RAW, convert one -1 Exposure, one normal and one +1, or -2, -1& 0 as required and then merge as an HDR.

@DemiLion... Wouldn't the image "ghost"? Because the train is in motion and so is the steam... Noob here so just wondering : )

Ken, maybe you could find a place to shoot, where you are level or below the trains. there is is not much wrong with the images, but you have been hampered with your location.
If you can shoot level or below, on a flat or downhill section of track, then there will be less steam, and the shot will be more dynamic.

As I said in post #5 I wasn't sure it was running, so didn't drive to the location I had planned and took this option which is only a five minute walk from my house as against a 30 minute drive.

Nice shots Ken - especially No2

Back