Tower Birdge - First HDR Shot

When looking at it at this size its very nice, I like the use of long exposure and the light is wonderful but it's let down when you look at it at full size, it's rather soft, now looking at the settings for this photo I noticed that you've closed the aperture right up in order to slow the shutter speed right down, now I suspect this is the cause of the softness, as shooting at f/20 will cause the light reaching the sensor to become distorted :thumbsdown: this is where you really need a ND Filter to enable you to keep your aperture at a wider size say f8-11 as generally you'll find this to be the sharpest area of your lens...other causes of softness could be leaving VR on when the camera is on a tripod or the wind buffeting the camera, but I'm confident it's the aperture that is the cause on this occasions (y)

Welcome to TP :wave:

Matt

When looking at it at this size its very nice, I like the use of long exposure and the light is wonderful but it's let down when you look at it at full size, it's rather soft, now looking at the settings for this photo I noticed that you've closed the aperture right up in order to slow the shutter speed right down, now I suspect this is the cause of the softness, as shooting at f/20 will cause the light reaching the sensor to become distorted :thumbsdown: this is where you really need a ND Filter to enable you to keep your aperture at a wider size say f8-11 as generally you'll find this to be the sharpest area of your lens...other causes of softness could be leaving VR on when the camera is on a tripod or the wind buffeting the camera, but I'm confident it's the aperture that is the cause on this occasions (y)

Welcome to TP :wave:

Matt

Matt, many thanks for your feedback. Am still fairly new to photography so appreciate your comments re apperature setting. Will go back there and try to shoot again with a wider apperature. i was using a ND filter, so i probably could have shot at f8.

F20 is narrow. F8 could lead to some background blurring, F11 to F16 should get it all properly on focus.

Lack of sharpening in PP can lead to softness plus all if matts other scenarios.

What I like, the lighting and composition. I do wonder with a decent sensor whether HDR was needed. If your not clipping either end of the histogram or even close to it, nd grads or HDR aren't even a remote requirement

Looking at the light and range of tones, I bet you'd get that all in one exposure no problem

f8 at that focal length can achieve from 2m to infinity in focus
Look HERE

Would f20 cause the shot to be that soft then again it is a superzoom 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6

Paul did you use a decent tripod and cable/remote realease?

i reckon the sky looks a bit noisy even for iso100 so the softness could be a result of lots of noise reduction?????

my guess is that it was underexposed SOOC and exposure has been lightened, consequently producing noise, then NR has softened it.

apologies if im wrong though.

Last edited:
Interesting. i'm fairly new to photography, and I didnt realise that if your camera is on a tripod to take VR off!!

Yes when your on a tripod there should be no vibration to be countered as a result if the lens/camera is attempting to correct for vibration and it isn't there the correction will in itself blur the image :(

Back