*****TALK PHOTOGRAPHY DAY 2014*****

kelack

TPer Emerita - But she's back!
Name
Kelly
Edit My Images
Yes
Back by popular demand, we are calling all members to sign up for TP Day 2014. For 5 years we have been running this "event" and the contributions made by the members show what a wonderful place this is to be.

STOP PRESS: Sharing Thread is now open here

TP Day is for all levels, and in Yv's words from last year: from absolute beginners to those that are so experienced they have forgotten half of what they knew [though that might be age or alcohol related in fairness :naughty: ]

What is TP Day all about, I hear you ask?

Between midnight and midnight on Sunday 31st August, you lovely members (and possibly even the staff themselves if they can dig their cameras out from the back of the biscuit cupboard), get to contribute a photograph. There is no theme, this can be anything you want it to be in either digital or film to show the day in the life of TalkPhotography members. This will then be added to a slideshow (see last year's here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/tp-day-2013-the-slideshow.509638/ )

Your mission should you choose to accept it will be this:

What To Do

1 - Note this day in your diaries
2 - Please sync your cameras to GMT+1 [as in, current UK time, British Summer Time], if possible using THIS site - this will make organising the photos into chronological order afterwards much easier.
3 - Make sure you take some photos on Sunday 31st between midnight and midnight and as this is 24 hours of TP, we would love images from all times of the day, so if you fancy an early start, or late finish, please, please do!
4 - Post your one photo to the submissions thread that will posted nearer the time.

What Happens Afterwards

1 - We will give you a few weeks to get all your submissions posted on to the thread.
2 - You will then be asked to email a high res version of the photo to us at an email address that will be added soon.
3 - We will create a 'mini-site' on the TP server that will host a slide show of all your amazing photos from across the day, in the order they were taken to hopefully show the day passing from dark to light and back to dark - 24 hours of TalkPhotography

Some Things to Note

This is NOT a competition, it is about having some fun and being part of this amazing community. It doesn't matter if you have owned a camera for a week or a lifetime, everyone is welcome, nay, encouraged to take part. The more members that take part, the bigger and better it will be and the more representative of the forum it will be. On that basis, if you want to add a link to this thread in your signature, please do, the more people that see it and take part, the better.

• It is ONE entry per member, though of course we hope you will use the day to get out with your cameras and take lots of photos that you can share in the other forum areas.
  • There are no rules about processing, you can edit as much as you want/need, the only thing we would ask you avoid is anything that is NSFW please.
  • Only emailed files will be added to the slide show
  • Please don't watermark your emailed images - your forum name and, if you wish, your real name [not business name] will be displayed with your image in the slideshow
  • By emailing your image, you are granting TP permission to use the image in the TP Day 2014 slideshow
  • THIS thread/opening post will be updated with relevant information at the appropriate times, so please refer to it if you need to
  • Please only use this thread for discussion, a submissions thread will be created to post your TP Day 2014 photographs
  • Remember, this is meant to be fun, so while we will do our very best to get everything right, please don't take umbrage if you feel something is wrong, just use the contact us link to lets us know you have spotted a problem
Thank you to @Simmotino for the signature

Please feel free to add the banner to your signature without the ** in the tags of course

[IMG**]http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/data/photos/l/7/7247-1409133857-adce46dbfcac3804259755e5da0f6b40.jpg[**/IMG]

UPDATE: What to do now you have your photo

Please send an email of your photo to:

tpday14@talkphotography.co.uk

Minimum 1500px on longest side, full res is fine. Please give it the title of your forum user name so we can match up pictures with users.

and also post it on the sharing thread HERE so we can all see what everyone was up to.

Thankyou :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, I was thinking about this a few days ago, and wondering when/if it would come round again.

Im in!

Serious question - I am sometimes capable of them!

I'll be 2 hours ahead of BST and might take a shot at midnight (or just past!) local time so if I alter the clock in my camera it'll appear that I jumped the gun by some margin, is this a problem? (I also tend to keep all my cameras set to proper time [GMT] to avoid the silliness that DST brings.)

The reason for keeping the camera times all synced is so that when we sort the photos chronologically, there's none that will be out of sync

I will double check in the staff room what to do in your case (there's always one :p)

Last edited:
Serious question - I am sometimes capable of them!

I'll be 2 hours ahead of BST and might take a shot at midnight (or just past!) local time so if I alter the clock in my camera it'll appear that I jumped the gun by some margin, is this a problem? (I also tend to keep all my cameras set to proper time [GMT] to avoid the silliness that DST brings.)

Don't worry about it, the odd unusual one can be moved around, its just easier if the majority have their times/date set to GMT+1 so they appear correctly in terms of starting in the dark, running through to daylight and back to dark again. ;)

IF I remember to take some shots for the day and IF I remember to send one in (bearing in mind my crap memory!), I'll try to remember to give the UK time somewhere to make it easier to drop it in the right place. Of course, the chance of me still being awake at midnight are rather slim, although it'll only be 10pm UK time so there's a slight chance!

Why not,the only thing is i have never set Date or time on any camera :D

I'm up for it *film* for me :snaphappy:

In the absence of an offishull response, as long as you (Simon) tell the team the time the chosen shot was taken they can drop it into the correct slot and Andrew, again, note (as closely as possible) the time your shot's taken and get it D&Pd as soon as possible/practical (and scanned).

In the absence of an offishull response, as long as you (Simon) tell the team the time the chosen shot was taken they can drop it into the correct slot and Andrew, again, note (as closely as possible) the time your shot's taken and get it D&Pd as soon as possible/practical (and scanned).

Got knocked out of a competition because the date showed wrong on my camera,so need to set it up :)

Well, it doesn't take too long ! I only keep mine set to GMT since it's a constant and I've got so many cameras that it would take all day to change them all!

I don't often submit anything anywhere! Last year was my first TP Day entry... it was fun... so I'll do the same this year (not actually the same, you understand!).

Count me in.

I'm in!

I'll be at the same festival as last year, must make an effort to take a different kind of shot.

Good to see you all joining in, it's going to be fun

Blimey has it been five years since this started, done all the others so count me in

Don't worry about it, the odd unusual one can be moved around, its just easier if the majority have their times/date set to GMT+1 so they appear correctly in terms of starting in the dark, running through to daylight and back to dark again. ;)

Wouldn't there only be an issue if he shot the image in the UK with his time set two hours ahead?

Time of day wherever he is will have relative light levels to the UK.

Best I join in as well :D

argh... I've been looking forward to this, but I'm going to be in Chicago (ie GMT -5h) - on a photography related trip, ironically. Can I take part in local time in order to make the dark-light-dark work, or would that be against the spirit of it?

argh... I've been looking forward to this, but I'm going to be in Chicago (ie GMT -5h) - on a photography related trip, ironically. Can I take part in local time in order to make the dark-light-dark work, or would that be against the spirit of it?

Yes, like Nod's one, we can work something out with it

I'm in:)...... and by coincidence, I have something quite unusual planned for Sunday, weather permitting :banana:

Now questions are only stupid when you already know the answer :p.........what exactly is a high resolution image?

Would the images I already post to flickr be classed as hi-res? :thinking:

Back