Travel tripod

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
I'm going on holiday to Canada in Sept and I'm looking for a light, but sturdy tripod.
I have a 60d and lenses include 700-200 and 70-300, so needs to be stable.
I already have a Giottos MTS, but it's too heavy for travelling. If the best options are not particularly light, I my buy one in Canada and leave it there, when I ready to come home.

Your recommendations would be appreciated.

As will no doubt be mentioned more than once
Light,strong,cheap, pick two

Not sure of your budget, but the best option would probably be something from the Gitzo traveler range.
I have one of the older series 1 models,folds down to 48cm and weighs in at around the 1kg mark
Can't comment on any other makes/models, but sure more recommendations will be made

I've got a Giottos Vitruvian (aluminium model). Holds my 550D with 70-200 F4 IS fine. There's a hook on the tripod as well, which I have used sometimes to aid the tripod being a bit more sturdy.
The ball head can be changed should need be.
I'm actually selling mine so if you want any pictures or more info let me know.

From what I can see from your recommendations, is that I can't get a cheap, lightweight and sturdy (enough for a 70-200 lens) tripod. I guess the solution would be to sell my larger Giottos to pay for a decent travel tripod.

Thanks

John

I use this, not super light but compact and very cheap.

I use a Giottos Vitruvian CF as a travel tripod. Sturdy, light and cheap. Sorry, lied about the cheap bit!

It is true John, cheap, but light and sturdy, don't come together unfortunately.

I have the Cullman Nanomax 200T, which was only around £40 when I bought it, and while it is light (700g), and compact, I would not leave it unattended in anything other than a gentle breeze.

https://www.cullmann.de/en/detail/id/nanomax-200t-cb51-1.html

With something like my 5D3 + 24-105L mounted, it is VERY top heavy.

Great for packing in a suitcase, but something of this price/build, needs using with caution.

Dave

I followed one of the treads and Redged has some compelling reviews. Looks to be really compact an light. Looks to be ideal for my travels and I could easily carry it on my motorbike trips.

Thanks

I use a Manfrotto Compact Series, probably too light for your setup though, max weight is 1.5kg.

Velbon Ultra-Rexi L

Check your baggage allowance. We get 20kg hold each and 5kg hand - that 4kg tripod would eat up a fair amount of the allowance! The CF Vitruvian is 1.4kg with a converter plate to fit Manfrotto RC2 QR plates and 1.75kg in its bag with its tools (a couple of Allen keys).

Bloody hell that Redged is heavy, is it made of Tungsten?

Not bad then! I don't use my travel tripod with my heavy kit, simply because I no longer take the heavy kit away with me! When I did though, the Vitruvian coped well with long (minutes) exposures under a D700 and a 24-70 f/2.8 (not a light set up.)

I literally just bought the Redged 427K. I was going for the 525k but the maximum working height put me off a little. Just for your information i found it on Amazon with 80.00 pound off!

Had it out the box for a little play and its a very decent bit of kit - well made, carbon fibre and very light, seems sturdy although time will tell in rivers and high winds. Came with a nice padded bag too. I spent ages looking for the right "travel" tripod checking this and that and i honestly think I've got myself one of the best all rounders here. Highly recommend.

I'm suprised that these are not more readily available. Amazon never seem to have any available.
I,m going to Canada soon and thought I might get one over there, but the USA and Canada seem to have a different range to Europe.

i'm glad this thread popped up, as i've been looking for a replacement to my chinese ebay £10 special that struggles to withstand a fly.

and after looking around, i think i might get the redged 425k, seems to fit my needs perfectly, and isnt to bank breaking

Back