Travelling To India - Advice / bags / airport etc

Name
Graydon
Edit My Images
No
Hi Forum,

I am going to go to India in a few months on business. The time there will span a weekend which will be my own time, and of course I would like to take some photos.

Please could you all help me correct / formulate my thoughts which are:

1 - I would like a bag which will allow me to take my work laptop and my camera kit onto the plane as hand luggage. My camera kit is a 1 x dSLR, 1 x larger zoom, 2 medium sized lenses. My laptop is a HP 15" machine.

2 - I planning to going to take a very small light tripod (Velbon maxi f - 0.6kg) flash and my normal camera bag in my main luggage.

3 - Batteries and power, other than the battery in the camera, again will be in the main luggage

4- Not sure where to check what airport regs are (this is day one after all!) and trying to cheat by hoping someone who has done this can give me some short cuts

5 - I intend taking an internal flight at the weekend to get me to where my photographic subjects are. Probably travel on Kingfisher airlines.

6 - The rest .... "you don't know what you don't know".... what else is there?

Help!

I went to India at Easter - amazing place - great photo opportunities.

Have a look at indiamike.com for some really useful travel tips including where to go and how to get around.

We travelled mainly by overnight train - 1st Class where we could - and you can book train travel here via the internet

Bag - I have a Flipside 200 - carries enough camera gear and a netbook - your laptop might be too big

I didnt take a tripod - wish I had because it was allowed in most places except the Taj Mahal.

Batteries and power - take a travel adaptor and recharge as you go.

Hi Jones

Here are a few pointers for the airport

1. All checked in baggages need to be scanned before putting it on hold. Be prepared for it to be opened every time; because of the wires/ electricals etc
2. The hand baggage is scanned ( something similar to what happens here). Again expect it to be opened everytime. So it may be useful to pack it in a separate bag an put it on the top of the case.
3. There would be a big rush in the airports; especially in the early morning and mid evening flights. Dont be rushed into anything; take your time.
4. Do make sure you have collected everything up after the boxes have been opened and checked
5. X ray will not affect the films.
6. Put all abtteries in a separate small bag, and name tag it. Sometimes they dont let you get on flight with batteries in your hand bag; so best is to put it in the check in bag. If you hand carry them; they may take it off you and give it to the air-hostess; who would return it to you on arrival
7. Usually airports are off limit for photgraphy. Most other places are OK. Sometimes smart alecs might try to hassle you; dont let that bother you. Just stare them down.

If you need any more info, do drop me a pm

Ujjwal

"Diocalm" :)

I'm going to India on business in a couple of weeks and have a free weekend during the trip, I'll let you know how I get on - and what I decide to take :)

When you are exiting the airport, look for an official airport pre-paid taxi office. Here you will pay a fixed rated for a taxi to your hotel. You will be told where the official taxis are. When you exit the terminal somebody will ask you if you are wanting a taxi, you show him the pre-paid ticket, and he takes you to the taxi. An eager sidekick insists on taking your bag, no matter how small and easy it is for you to carry. Your bag is put in the boot, you get inside. Then the man shows you a piece of paper with the rates on it that you are expected to pay on arrival - on top of what you have already paid, and about 3 or 4 times more. And you will be expected to pay for the unwanted sidekick carrying your bag 50 yards. You have just almost been scammed. This is not an official taxi.

So, ignore anybody offering you a taxi as you exit the terminal and head in the direction given at the office - an official taxi rank, yellow taxis - old Austin Ambassadors. No extra payment, unless you want to tip the driver - if he knows his way and you don't end up driving round in circles for an hour at 3 in the morning.

If you're taking internal flights, be prepared for the rich westerner to subsidise or even pay for the whole flight - or it seems that way. I had a look in to a return flight from Chennai to Delhi and was quoted £450, and that was nearly 4 years ago.

When entering historic monuments and temples etc, it is common practice to charge non-resident tourists significantly more than locals, but it still works out fairly cheap. But be prepared for a guide forcing himself upon you, at the end of which you will be expected to make a significant contribution to the upkeep of his town. If you really don't want a guide, and I never do as it's only the photography that I am interested in, then make it clear that his services are not required. One temple I visited in Calcutta had a guide who got quite threatening to a tourist, demanding in the region of £500, settling for £200 from the frightened visitor. Some of these place won't allow photography. Some you have to pay for a permit. Again, it's not a lot.

You will get sick, no matter how hard you try. Make allowances in your timetable for a couple of days or so on the toilet or in close proximity to one.

Be prepared for the fare shown on taxi meters to be doubled. Well, they are in Calcutta. It's not a tourist scam. Tuk tuks - the three wheeler open taxis - are much better for getting around and and taking pictures from. Find a driver who you think you can get along with and have him for a day. He will take you to places you probably wouldn't normally get to see. Get him to take you on foot in to the slum areas. It's a humbling experience.

Avoid skin contact with any children who have scabby yellow pustules on their faces or anywhere. It's impetigo and highly contagious (or infectious, whatever). It may be difficult as they all love grabbing hold of your hands, arms, and having their pictures taken.

When you arrive at the airport, make sure you have enough hard cash to exchange to get you by for a day or so, in case the money exchange card system is down. On my Calcutta trip it wasn't working (at both money exchanges, and the taxi office) and if I hadn't had some paper currency I would have been in a bit of a mess at 2 in the morning.

And finally........ you will get sick.

I went to India a few years ago, and would repeat most of what MisteE said. Don't just get in a taxi- arrange the fare first, haggle like hell. If they say its 200R, its more like 40R for the locals. Keep your camera equipment on you, I mean, attached to you- my dad had his camera (only a p&s) stolen from a zipped bag above his head on a bus.

Locals will try and sell you everything- at stupid prices, if you do want something they are selling- pretend not to be too interested before making a very low offer. I got myself a leather jacket for about £8 there (starting price was £50)

Dont drink tap water- only drink bottled, that you have seen opened. In resturants, they should bring you the bottle sealed and open it in front of you- reject anything else (they will try and refill it otherwise). They have "brown-outs" between 2-5ish, most days over some of the country.

Shout if you want any more advice :))

Keep your wits about you, be sensible and look after yourself. But don't get too preoccupied with that. The people are extremely friendly. It's a beautiful country no matter where you go and there is a lot to see and do; a lot take in. Do your best to enjoy it because it's a country like no other. I've been 4 times at various times of my life and plan on moving there in the near future, we have a farm in Punjab :)

Also, depending on where you go you will see certain things that will upset you. You should be prepared for that.

Back