Tree Heron

Name
Etienne
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm sure not everyone will be a fan of the processing but I guess that's life :)

This was taken just outside the British Wildlife Centre when I was leaving a few weeks ago. I saw a few Herons in flight but was never in a position to get one but as I left I saw one land in this tree so I got my 200-400 out of the boot and took a few handheld shots to fill the rest of my card

It's not perfect but I quite like it :)

I've Been Expecting You by Phal44, on Flickr

Not surprised you like it, it is excellent in my opinion. The dark patch at the bottom right is a bit distracting but I'm not sure how you could do anything about it without affecting the balance of the shot. As it is, I would be more than happy to have taken it.

Dave

Etienne

This type of composition is now one of my preferred bird shots

I can see why you wanted to include all the tree, but try a crop and give more space to the left with only a half or two third of the tree

If the main focus of the composition is the bird, usually i would build the image around that

The tree is good but just try to put some negative space to the left for the bird to look into

it is a very good shot that deserves work to get the best composition …. try a few alternatives

IMHO …. but my wife thinks it's great as it is

very well done - one to print for your wall

Last edited:
Here's another vote for it, though I'm in two minds about cropping. One one hand it enhances the composition and gives a cleaner image, but on the other hand it unbalances the tree. Something to play around with to see what works best. But I really like the colour in the sky and the fact that, while the tree is silhouetted, the bird isn't.

This is the original full crop so it's not that different really. I ended up choosing a wider crop because I thought it suited the shape of the tree.

I could crop a bit higher to lose the dark part with the nest but the tree looked a bit odd when I couldn't see where the branches were coming from.

JE5A6426-2 by Phal44, on Flickr

It is a very good image Etienne, you can play around in PS to add space etc.,

all I suggested was to try to make the heron stand out a little more as a more dominant subject in the image - but you could have several different "takes" on the image as it is so interesting

A quick tweak below by me - hope you don't mind ……. just a slightly different view

But I'd be very happy with your shot, 10 times over

Heron_not_mine.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely evocative image - A picture rather than merely a photograph. I love the colour.

I think it makes for a pleasing image.

You could almost imagine a Vulture sat up there with that backdrop.

Back