Tripod advice please!

Edit My Images
No
Hi- I could do with a little advice as a newb to the DSLR world. I'm looking to pick-up my first tripod. The advice I have been given so far is to use the centre pole as little as possible. I'm 6'4. Can anyone recommend a tripod that I can get to eye height without the center pole?

Thanks,

Dan

Well a standard tripod will be too small, as these usually go up to 5 foot 6/7 with colimn extended.

I'm 6 foot and have used a Gitzo GT3530XLS to give me loads of composition options; it extends to about 7 foot high, has no centre column and has 4 leg sections. Max height with 3 legs extended = approx 6 foot.

The stumbling block may be cost. Expect to pay £550+ foe one, without ballhead. Once you have one though, you will keep it for as long as you're on this planet.

Not aware of any alternatives, without having to stoop over. I'm sure there are, though....

It's best to use the centre column last as this moves the Camera further from the "tripod". You should extend the thicker legs first and work down to the thinner sections as required in order to keep things as stable as possible. Some tripods also have a hook on the bottom of the centre column to put a heavy bag on to aid stabalisation (you can also cross the handles over the top of the centre column if it doesn't have one).

Hope this helps (y)

Generally yes best not to use it as all you end up with is a camera on a stick. However, indoors and other times when conditions mean that you can keep it stable its not to bad.

Andy

Thanks. I reckon my eye height (with a slight stoop) is about 175cm. This looks to be quite a bit higher than the Manfrotto (which is 150cm unextended to 190 extended).

Will 25cm on the center pole be a big issue in terms of reduced stability?

Thanks

Hi dangee, I'm 6' 1" and use a Redsnapper tripod with no problems at all, fully extended with centre column down it's just a very slight slight stoop and with centre column extended it goes over my head. Not sure where you are from but if you are local to me (Ayrshire in Scotland) you are welcome to pop over and have a wee try of mine to see if it's any good for you. Just done a quick measure, with column down the eyepiece is 63 and a half inches from the floor. Not sure how comfortable that may be for you though.

Tommy.

I was on a tight budget when I bought my first tripod and head. I spent £460 which |I have not regretted. The setup will last me for years

Hi dangee, I'm 6' 1" and use a Redsnapper tripod with no problems at all, fully extended with centre column down it's just a very slight slight stoop and with centre column extended it goes over my head. Not sure where you are from but if you are local to me (Ayrshire in Scotland) you are welcome to pop over and have a wee try of mine to see if it's any good for you. Just done a quick measure, with column down the eyepiece is 63 and a half inches from the floor. Not sure how comfortable that may be for you though.

Tommy.

Thanks for the offer...I'm just north of London, so I'll have to pass!

What model do you have?

Dan

Thanks Tommy,

Am I correct in assuming that you're getting the extra 10 inches from the head and the camera?

Ignore! Having just checked the height of the head and my camera I've answered my own question...

One final one...as a beginner, after a good all-rounder, is 3 way or ball the better option?

One final one...as a beginner, after a good all-rounder, is 3 way or ball the better option?

Depends what you are using the tripiod for as both have their pro's and cons. I have the 3 way head on my tripod and a ball head on my monopod.

The ball head allows any movement in any direction which is great for me on my monopod, but if I was shooting landscapes (poss panoramic shots for example) the 3 way head allows movement in the one plane only, if using the ball head, this would be difficult to acheive.

Hope this helps (y)

is it relatively easy to achieve a level shot with a ball head? dont want every shot coming out slanted!

Thanks Tommy,

May well go with that. Just double checked the specs on the link and it gives a maximum height (without the centre column) as 1345mm (53 inches). Am I correct in assuming that you're getting the extra 10 inches from the head and the camera?

Sorry for the basic level of questions...

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan, aye extra height is coming from the three way head plus camera, I also have a battery grip fitted to my 400D which gives that extra wee bit of height.

Tommy.

is it relatively easy to achieve a level shot with a ball head? dont want every shot coming out slanted!

Yep, just buy a bubble spirit level which clips into the camera hotshoe.

Not sure if the ballheads are the same at budget level, but mine certainly adjusts 3 seperate ways using individual knobs..might be worth considering this in your choice...

Nikon make a great bubble spirit level
comes with a free D3! :)

Back