Tripod & Head - gimbal..

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I've just got a 400mm 2.8 & now need to mount it. Budget is about 5/600. Anyone used any of the CF gimbal heads - Nest, Siru, etc..
Also require a tripod...
Can't justify a Gitso.. so what are my 'cheaper' options...

I do like the Benro 8000 range - any good ?

I currently have a Manfrotto 393 head, & Manfrotto CF tripod..

I just picked up a Benro c3780tn and a Lensmaster gimbal (a traveller- though my lenses aren't as big as the 400). I don't see much point in using CF for a gimbal.
Tripod was from Belgium as Kenro UK aren't importing that one.
Under £450 all in.

Last edited:
I like the Wim after all its the one everything else is compared to... But its heavy.... thats why I'm tempted by the CF variants... just don't know anyone with one....

Will deffinatly require a CF tripod...

I use a Manfrotto 393 Head on a Induro AT series tripod for my 400mm f/2.8, Works a treat and can easily pan birds in flight etc with it, never really seen the point in paying £600 or whatever it is for a Wimberley head IMHO

I would recommend you try and have a look at several different tripods before making up your mind. I would avoid anything with a centre column. Of the several tripods I have owned I have never had with a central column that was anything other than wobbly. There may be some out there but for max stability then I would avoid anything with a centre column.

3 or 4 section is another choice. Again fewer moving parts equals more stability and faster operating. Against is a longer closed length

I have a Gitzo GT5532LS and I would recommend it to anyone for use with any big lens. Yes it's expensive but its a once in a lifetime purchase. I'm sure there are others out there that will do the job. I never had the opportunity to go and check out other makes as we simply don't have any camera sops that stock a good range of different makes.

I don't know what CF manfrotto you already have and what its limitations are now you have the 400 but if you're going to upgrade then its worth making a significant one.

Last edited:
I was looking for a gimbal head but I wasn't too sure about the Manfrotto head and I didn't fancy spending £6-700 on a Wimberley so I went for the Benro GH2. Had my first day with it yesterday and it definitely seems to do the trick :) They go for about £280/300 new

thanks for the replies guys... I'll try with the 393 & my Manfrotto Carbon one 441..

Can't help feeling I need something better though..

I think the tripod update is the best idea = budget is as flexible as I need....lol, but has to be carbon.
Will have a think on those ideas...

Thanks.

thanks for the replies guys... I'll try with the 393 & my Manfrotto Carbon one 441..

Can't help feeling I need something better though..

I think the tripod update is the best idea = budget is as flexible as I need....lol, but has to be carbon.
Will have a think on those ideas...

Thanks.

The Manfrotto 393 works perfectly fine, I feel these days your paying for the name for other brand gimbal heads, I use Induro tripods and can't recommend them enough (with the 393 head and works extremely well for birding + Induro tripods and heads come with 5year warranty, there great pieces of kit and always used them! You mite want to have a look at the Induro CT113 Carbon 8X Tripod if you want a carbon fibre tripod

I'm using a manfrotto 393 on a manfrotto carbon one 441 tripod in combination with a Sigma 800mm f5.6.
And even with that weight it works very well for me.

again, thanks for the replies - main problem for me with the 441 is it isn't very tall which limits movement ... & I'm not the tallest either.

Back