Tripod Legs (Suitable for D4 & travel)

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
Afternoon Folks

I currently have a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod which I use for my occasional tripod use.

I have just booked a lapland trip and a northern lights adventure and dont fancy carting the somewhat hefty legs around.

Do any of the travel/landscape photography community on here have any lightweight reccomendations?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I use the Redged TSC 427k with the RNB-2N Head when I am travelling

Had the Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR on it with the Manfrotto 393 - you just have to be a little more careful with the heavier lens

packs up great and come in a nice bag

Amazon was the best price

I have a Gitzo 3540LS, folds down to 55cm, weighs 1.72kg, light, sturdy, packs down relatively small and rated to hold 18kg

Gets used for everything and does away with the need for several tripods.

Require something stable for long exposures and wouldn't want to risk having expensive gear topple over from using a lightweight "travel" tripod

Last edited:
I went from your tripod to a manfrotto mt190cxpro4.

Much lighter, just as sturdy and new design leg locks are so much easier to use.

I managed to find a returned one from amazon so got a new one but with a very slightly damaged box for £200 rather than £300!

Current one is 2.4kg without the head so quite cumbersome - thanks for your help.

Have a look at Feisol carbon; I've had mine 4 years now and it's still going strong. It's great as you can remove the centre column (or not get one at all)and get down real low plus saves weight.

Don't skimp. During the northern lights season it seems we get a lens broken every week or two, usually because of tripods toppling over in windy conditions.

Something from the Gitzo range. Minimum 2 Series, ideally 3 Series.

As Stewart mentions, don't skimp - buy right, buy once is a mentality that's stuck with me.

I bought the existing one with the buy once mentality, i had a d90 topple which was a near miss as i kicked it to safety and only broke the pop up which Nikon kindly fixed as warranty - lesson learned.

I just wanted something lighter, im going to lapland with my kids I didnt want to look like i was going over everest.

Get the Giottos VGRN 8255-5400, compact & lightweight. Had mine twice to Las Vegas & Grand Canyon, taking to Florida this year, and it fits nicely inside my hand luggage.

Back