Tripod Leveling Base

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I don't know much about these but I think I might want one!

Basically I use a Gitzo tripod with Gitzo Ballhead with arca plate adaptor. I quite like shooting the odd multi shot panorama but I'm finding it a little bit of pain with the ball head as it is. It has a rotating base so that aspect is fine but it relies on the tripod itself being level in order to get a cleanly stitched image without multiple wonkage (pretty sure that's a photography term).

I quite like the look of something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2715...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

but how well do they work? I presume the process is to set the tripod up, level off using the gizmo above and then level off the camera itself on the ball head and therefore when it rotates it will remain level. Have I got that right. Do they work well away from the theory?

I've got the Acratech levelling base which works in the same way to the one you've linked. You're right with your description of the working method.

They are a bit fiddly to use but necessary for pano work.

Personally, if I'm using a tripod I take the little extra time to set it up level (mine have levels built in to the tripod as well as the heads) so don't need the extra head between the legs and the head (which is effectively what that levelling gizmo is.)

I presume the process is to set the tripod up, level off using the gizmo above and then level off the camera itself on the ball head and therefore when it rotates it will remain level. Have I got that right. Do they work well away from the theory?

That's it pretty much summed up.

I've got a Gitzo levelling base ( GS5120LVL) that fits 3,4 and 5 series legs). It really does the same thing as Nod's method only far more quickly. If you're on uneven ground and then decide you want to move a foot or two left or right than you're into resetting....with the levelling base it's one twist, peep at the level and lock again. The theory's good so I bought a levelling base for my Nodal Ninja to avoid having to use the big Gitzo with a smaller camera setup.

Bob

Cheers all. Reassuring stuff. As you say Bob, I find adjusting the tripod itself to be just too slow. I'd far rather get that near enough and then use a base to sort the fine adjustment. Looks like I'll go for one of these then.

You'll have to let us know how you get on with it. Quality won't be an issue, just the ease of use interests me.

The best way of doing it - fast/easy/accurate - is to fit a panning clamp on top of the head. Like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNWAYFOT..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item3a6e22cce9 but there are plenty of others, and also different ways of achieving the same result.

Ideally, change your existing Gitzo QR clamp with an Arca-Swiss panning clamp something like this, or similar http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNWAYFOT..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item3f30500ca4

They look interesting Richard. I'd seen this on ebay and kind of skipped over them without giving them much thought but I can see how they would be useful. Using one of these, I assume I'd simply level off the ball head and lock it and use this for my rotation. Sounds good though only issue I can see is that unless I'm using a lens with a tripod plate, I'm going to need to use an L-Bracket to get portrait orientation?

They look interesting Richard. I'd seen this on ebay and kind of skipped over them without giving them much thought but I can see how they would be useful. Using one of these, I assume I'd simply level off the ball head and lock it and use this for my rotation. Sounds good though only issue I can see is that unless I'm using a lens with a tripod plate, I'm going to need to use an L-Bracket to get portrait orientation?

Yes, that's it. It's easier because you only have to level one thing, and less room for error. It needs to be right if you're doing a wide 180 pan and want both ends to line up. For vertical framing, I would have said an L-bracket was almost essential anyway.

I bought the Benro equivalent along with an L bracket and sliding rail recently and it makes panoramas so easy to do. As has been said it doesn't matter what angle the tripod is at, the ballhead is easily levelled with the panning clamp on top.

the other option that ive not looked into, is to get your normal ball head reversed, so then that base rotation is changed to a top, easily? leveled rotation

The best way of doing it - fast/easy/accurate - is to fit a panning clamp on top of the head. Like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNWAYFOT..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item3a6e22cce9 but there are plenty of others, and also different ways of achieving the same result.

Excuse my ignorance, but doesn't that clamp just fit onto an existing Arca head? I can't see how using that clamp would make the levelling process any easier. It looks fine for the actual panning, but wouldn't there still be the question of levelling the tripod by leg adjustment then levelling the camera on top of the head?

Love him or hate him it seems to me he is deliberately ignored here
This piece of kit looks the biz even if it's a lot of money. Not seen one in the flesh but very tempting.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCV-Flip-...116?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecb5127fc
bit to expensive tho, by 40p

theres some panoramic clamps that look decent for £35 quid in the uk and 25 from china

That's a permanent conversion kit to invert the head. Works well enough, but makes the head tricky to use normally when flipped over 90 degrees for verticals so really needs an L-bracket. Arca-Swiss P0 works that way as standard, superb head BTW http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/arca-swiss-tripod-heads/arca-swiss-p0-with-quickset-classic.html

A better option is a DIY conversion that allows you to turn the head upside down in two seconds. Simply fit an Arca-Swiss clamp to the base of the head, and an Arca-Swiss plate on top of the tripod. You can then invert the head any time.

Love him or hate him it seems to me he is deliberately ignored here
This piece of kit looks the biz even if it's a lot of money. Not seen one in the flesh but very tempting.

There was a long thread on here about the Uniqball a couple of months ago. Some people have used it and were enthusiastic, others more cynical considering AR actually sells them. Personally, I think claims that it replaces a gimbal are simply untrue - it cannot, and is not really any different to a good big ball head in that respect.

Came across a well known photographer in Scotland who had one on test. His view was that it was a neat bit of kit had some advantages with regard to weight, ease of levelling but wasn't sure how it would fare long term with regards to weather, getting knocked etc.

His view was it was not the one head fits all that AR was intimating and he wouldn't swap a gimbal for it with a view to it becoming the only head he used.

Back