Trouble at mill.

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
We were driving through Chipping Norton a couple of weekends ago, and spotted this storm coming up over this mill. I've processed it to make it look striking - the clouds obviously weren't *quite* as intense as this - and wondered whether it's a little over-cooked?

Chippiemill-09072_zps6e87906a.jpg~original

Only the clouds look a little overcooked I think the rest of it looks great, the clouds look very very mean and doesn't seem to make the rest of the image as dark as it might be if they were that intense? What does this baby look like in B&W ? :)

I'm not sure I'm a fan. It's a great building and I'm glad to see it...

But. The clouds don't suit it. I'm also sure you can get a bit closer and get more of the building in. I'm all for seeing buildings in context which is what you've shown here but I'd like to see less sky and you closer to the building ie beyond the trees on a less cloudy day in golden light. This would place you lower but still allow you to keep the camera straight to preserve verticals

Last edited:
Thanks for the input - I'll do a re-process or 2 and see what falls out. A few moments before that shot the building was in full sunshine.

Steve, there's a fence around the property, but next time I'm down that way I'll see if a re-shoot can be managed - hopefully with a golden, glowing sky. :)

OK, a quick re-process later:

Chippymill-2_zps3af33357.jpg~original

Here's one I took just a minute before, with sunshine, but under trees.
Chippymill-09062_zps80ba971a.jpg~original

Back