Critique Trying panning - banger racing

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I took my 6 year old boy to watch the bangers at Smeatharp, and of course I took my camera. I've taken British Superbikes photos at Thruxton a couple of times, the first time with a DSLR was last year (haven't been for a few years cos of kids etc) and the feedback I've had is that they don't portray a sense of speed. So I've been trying some panning. The results are below. The cars below are the Stock Rods and the BriSCA F2 Stock Cars. There aren't any bangers because TBH I didn't take many because there was so much going on and so many crashes I didn't want to miss any of it. I'll see what I've got and post some another day though

_MG_9577ed_zps0d2f7e87.jpg

_MG_9616ed_zpsf83732bd.jpg

_MG_9629ed_zps85ccf9e9.jpg

_MG_9638ed_zps8270198c.jpg

_MG_9647ed_zps4c802afa.jpg

_MG_9654ed_zps447fe081.jpg

What I've lurnt:
Low shutter speed, around 1/50
If one car is going faster than another the one you don't pan with may be blurred
Put the camera on high speed continuous, but try not to take over 400 photos :whistle:
Take something to sit on
It's bloody good fun!!

All constructive critique gratefully received
Thanks for looking.

I like the last one best, as it's the only one that is fairly sharp..

I'm no good at panning so can't offer any advice on how to sharpen!
Thanks. I've been through all the photos and I think there are some sharper ones. It's harder than it looks.

they all look a bit soft.. the problem is its harder to pan when the cars are further away, and these look like they are shot from the furthest part of the circuit.
tbh you probably did quite well considering.
to get them sharper, either shoot closer, use higher shutter speed, or make them smaller in the frame...
you can pan cars that far away, but you need a heck of a lot of practice.

I'm thinking about going to Smeatharp this weekend (6th April). Wouldn't shooting at a slightly faster shutter speed get both cars sharper? Either way it is never easy and you can't really tell from looking at the camera LCD. Did the fencing cause you any problems?
My favourite is number 4 :)

It is bloody good fun! Used to do some photography at the old Newton Abbott Stadium before it was closed in the early 90's - on FILM! - low light, high (for then ISO) and blurry out of focus results - guess now it's a lot easier to get better results with increased sensitivity, better colour balance (esp with RAW files) and not worrying about changing a roll of film after 36 shots (sometimes exposed in under 10 seconds) or the cost of having them developed! Probably got 3 or 4 decent shots in a season :-(

Thanks all. I have got sharper ones that I found after sorting through the clutter that once edited I'll post on here. Andrew the fences don't get in the way if you stand along the far side and high up the bank. I was stood in different places along there shooting the opposite side of the track. The only problem is that the tractor and the pickup and the marshals that are all in the middle get in the way. I had some really nice sharp shot with any of those in the way.

Also if you register with the autospeed site kids can go free and I got a discount on my ticket, but do it asap so they can email it to you. Then they do that every meet.

It is bloody good fun! Used to do some photography at the old Newton Abbott Stadium before it was closed in the early 90's - on FILM! - low light, high (for then ISO) and blurry out of focus results - guess now it's a lot easier to get better results with increased sensitivity, better colour balance (esp with RAW files) and not worrying about changing a roll of film after 36 shots (sometimes exposed in under 10 seconds) or the cost of having them developed! Probably got 3 or 4 decent shots in a season :-(

I wanted to start photography in my late teens but didnt cos of the cost of film. Thank God for
Digital

Thanks all. I have got sharper ones that I found after sorting through the clutter that once edited I'll post on here. Andrew the fences don't get in the way if you stand along the far side and high up the bank. I was stood in different places along there shooting the opposite side of the track. The only problem is that the tractor and the pickup and the marshals that are all in the middle get in the way. I had some really nice sharp shot with any of those in the way.

Also if you register with the autospeed site kids can go free and I got a discount on my ticket, but do it asap so they can email it to you. Then they do that every meet.

Thanks Mike. I may pop up there if the weather is OK. I did notice on the autospeed site that kids go free but makes little difference as I haven't any LOL.

Back