Turkeys in the...snow

Name
Drake
Edit My Images
Yes
Coming into breeding season, but there's still plenty of snow in North Dakota. :LOL:

Turkeys2_Web.jpg

mmm this photograph is and exellent demonstratoin of camoflage! I looks like a very tricky situation to photograph.

Stuart

The tricky part is that the branches, etc. tend to sometimes fool the camera into focusing on them rather than your main subject. And the snow can fool your light meter. I felt fortunate to get this shot with wild birds. They don't hang around long once they know you're in the vicinity.

Yeah that's a tough subject. They almost look synchronised!

Yeah that's a tough subject. They almost look synchronised!

Wild turkeys are sometimes like that...they don't fly unless they are really spooked, so they leg it out of range when something or someone comes a bit too close. When they do, they tend to string out in a more-or-less straight line.

I love the colors on the toms...really bright this time of year against the snow.

They are nice, Mark, in the overall scheme of things. Rather pretty, almost majestic at times. The males in spring breeding plumage and spread tail feathers can look pretty awesome. The wildlife biologists have had great success in the past twenty years or more in getting them re-established in the wild in many (most?) states.

Back