Tutorials, Guides, Articles - for everyone.

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Calling ALL TP Members, we need your thoughts, ideas and input to help make the tutorial section of the forum an extensive and invaluable resource for the whole forum. As mentioned before Christmas, the point of this thread is twofold - to find out what sort of guides, tutorials and articles people would like to see in the section and also find people that would be willing to write them. The old threads have been sifted through, sorted and all moved to the TUTORIAL SECTION - you can see the link to it in the darker menu bar at the top of the page.

What you need to know

1 - How it works. Anyone can write an article for the section and submit it. Each article creates two things - a full article in that section, plus an attached discussion thread which will automatically be assigned to the relevant forum area in most cases. However, where appropriate, certain discussions will be moved to more specific areas, particularly those that default to Talk Photography discussion forum from the Photography Technique Tutorial category, as they may be better in Talk Landscapes, Talk Film, or what ever it is. If you do submit a tutorial and you think a move is required, just contact us in the usual ways and it shall be done.

2 - What is the point of this thread? In here you can add thoughts and ideas on the sort of things you would like to see in there, whether it is answers to often repeated questions, a guide to something you struggle to understand, etc. Please have a look first though and make sure such an article doesn't already exist. We know lots of people like to post reviews of equipment, books, etc and we are hoping to add a further section later in the year specifically for these, but for now, this is about asking for, and offering your knowledge and expertise for everyone on the forum to read and hopefully find useful.

3 - a few things to note

There are already a lot of guides/articles in there, so do have a good look through and check what you are looking for, or thinking of writing, doesn't already exist.

All good information contains graphic as well as written content, so please consider this if you are going to write something and any images should be loaded initially to your TP gallery space, so they can be backed up and maintained.

For the avoidance of any doubt, authors retain the copyright on any submitted articles, but by submitting an article you are granting TalkPhotography a non exclusive right to use that article & associated graphics/photos as part of the forum for as long as the administrators see fit. No articles will be sold or used for commercial gain without the authors express permission, however extracts may be used to promote the Talk Photography forum on other media.

4 - So what is needed?

Below is a starter list of thoughts and ideas, under the relevant Section headings, and we are looking to add to the list and find people willing to volunteer their services to provide the articles [this can be done either by posting here in the thread, or contacting the staff team, just to make sure the same thing hasn't already been volunteered and in progress]. As good as the TP staff are, they cannot do all of it and a forum should involve all members in making it a great resource for everyone. Ideas will be added to the list as they are discussed.

Jargon - the photography world is full of jargon, acronyms and general technical waffle. If you are writing an article, remember the level you are aiming at [beginner, intermediate, advanced] and never assume someone will understand what you mean, always give a brief explanation of a technical word or phrase, especially for beginners.

The List

Photography Technique

Pet/Captive Animal portraits/action shots

Lighting from built in flash up to octabox, through all the various modifiers - volunteered, PhilV

Photography Equipment

Prime and zoom lenses, what are they and pros/cons of each

Processing & Editing

How to resize a photo - various editing programs

Computer Specs for modern editing, Mac and PC - updatable as required

Computer Monitors for editing, understand the numbers and fancy words

Comprehensive list of editing programs available, both free and paid for.

Business & Commercial

List of printers, pro-labs, album suppliers, etc

List of insurance companies and what to insure

Advice on portfolio building for various genre

Taking credit/debit card payments

Others

List of data rescue programs, for PC and Mac

Forum How To's

How to start/send a private message [conversation]

Last edited:
I'll volunteer something I've been contemplating for a while.

Lighting from built in flash up to octabox, through all the various modifiers.

Nowt flash mind (pun intended)

Sounds like a great idea, we have some lighting guides, but nothing that explains the entire options available and how to modify it. Thanks Phil (y)

If an uneducated illiterate twit like myself can write four guides there must be hundreds of people able to write a useful guide
There's even a misspelling in this post :D
:exit:

Quick query - any maximum length?

Quick query - any maximum length?

IN terms of the software, Marcel can't find anything to hint at a maximum length and certainly there are one or two monsters in there already. So, if it's something that is really long and can sensibly be split into a pt1, pt2, etc that might be worth considering, but only if it makes sense to do so [ie, has logical 'breather' points]. (y)

OK. I've finished writing this month's article for a local magazine, so I'll turn my attention to Behemoth, as it was dubbed. Watch another space... Although I'm going to have to master the black art of posting photos here (I don't have a Flickr account to make things simple).

Edit to add: I think I've cracked it - I managed to post a photo.

Last edited:
Mine is a job for February, I'm crazy busy this month.

I was planning to do a prime versus zoom article for my blog - for beginners, from a perspective of improving photography skills (Not a gear-head pixel peeping article). Would this be useful at all?

Calling ALL TP Members, we need your thoughts, ideas and input to help make the tutorial section of the forum an extensive and invaluable resource for the whole forum. As mentioned before Christmas, the point of this thread is twofold - to find out what sort of guides, tutorials and articles people would like to see in the section and also find people that would be willing to write them. The old threads have been sifted through, sorted and all moved to the TUTORIAL SECTION - you can see the link to it in the darker menu bar at the top of the page.

What you need to know

1 - How it works. Anyone can write an article for the section and submit it. Each article creates two things - a full article in that section, plus an attached discussion thread which will automatically be assigned to the relevant forum area in most cases. However, where appropriate, certain discussions will be moved to more specific areas, particularly those that default to Talk Photography discussion forum from the Photography Technique Tutorial category, as they may be better in Talk Landscapes, Talk Film, or what ever it is. If you do submit a tutorial and you think a move is required, just contact us in the usual ways and it shall be done.

2 - What is the point of this thread? In here you can add thoughts and ideas on the sort of things you would like to see in there, whether it is answers to often repeated questions, a guide to something you struggle to understand, etc. Please have a look first though and make sure such an article doesn't already exist. We know lots of people like to post reviews of equipment, books, etc and we are hoping to add a further section later in the year specifically for these, but for now, this is about asking for, and offering your knowledge and expertise for everyone on the forum to read and hopefully find useful.

3 - a few things to note

There are already a lot of guides/articles in there, so do have a good look through and check what you are looking for, or thinking of writing, doesn't already exist.

All good information contains graphic as well as written content, so please consider this if you are going to write something and any images should be loaded initially to your TP gallery space, so they can be backed up and maintained.

For the avoidance of any doubt, authors retain the copyright on any submitted articles, but by submitting an article you are granting TalkPhotography a non exclusive right to use that article & associated graphics/photos as part of the forum for as long as the administrators see fit. No articles will be sold or used for commercial gain without the authors express permission, however extracts may be used to promote the Talk Photography forum on other media.

4 - So what is needed?

Below is a starter list of thoughts and ideas, under the relevant Section headings, and we are looking to add to the list and find people willing to volunteer their services to provide the articles [this can be done either by posting here in the thread, or contacting the staff team, just to make sure the same thing hasn't already been volunteered and in progress]. As good as the TP staff are, they cannot do all of it and a forum should involve all members in making it a great resource for everyone. Ideas will be added to the list as they are discussed.

Jargon - the photography world is full of jargon, acronyms and general technical waffle. If you are writing an article, remember the level you are aiming at [beginner, intermediate, advanced] and never assume someone will understand what you mean, always give a brief explanation of a technical word or phrase, especially for beginners.

The List

Photography Technique

Pet/Captive Animal portraits/action shots

Lighting from built in flash up to octabox, through all the various modifiers - volunteered, PhilV

Photography Equipment

Prime and zoom lenses, what are they and pros/cons of each

Processing & Editing

How to resize a photo - various editing programs

Computer Specs for modern editing, Mac and PC - updatable as required

Computer Monitors for editing, understand the numbers and fancy words

Comprehensive list of editing programs available, both free and paid for.

Business & Commercial

List of printers, pro-labs, album suppliers, etc

List of insurance companies and what to insure

Advice on portfolio building for various genre

Taking credit/debit card payments

Others

List of data rescue programs, for PC and Mac

Forum How To's

How to start/send a private message [conversation]

OK.. so where's the MASSIVE exposure theory tutorial I wrote, and has been on here for ages.. why's that not in the list?

Also... if I write more.. where do I put them.. in this thread? Maybe I'm being a bit senior today... but I don't get how this new system works.. nor do I see what was wrong with the old tutorial section.

Last edited:
OK.. so where's the MASSIVE exposure theory tutorial I wrote, and has been on here for ages.. why's that not in the list?

Also... if I write more.. where do I put them.. in this thread?

You mean this one > https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/r...xposure-theory-but-were-afraid-to-ask-101.39/

Its in the Photography Technique part of Resources, and if doing another, you should be able to post new ones directly to the appropriate section in there. The discussion thread that is automatically created at the same time with be post to an appropriate forum section, though I do sometimes move those if the discussion would be more appropriate in a different section.

You mean this one > https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/r...xposure-theory-but-were-afraid-to-ask-101.39/

Its in the Photography Technique part of Resources, and if doing another, you should be able to post new ones directly to the appropriate section in there. The discussion thread that is automatically created at the same time with be post to an appropriate forum section, though I do sometimes move those if the discussion would be more appropriate in a different section.

Ahhh... got it. Thanks :)

I shot a load of stuff for this yesterday (finally), just need to write it up now.

As I suspected, the straight experimentation came up with at least one hefty surprise.

Will I be able to add to it later?

Will I be able to add to it later?
I'm not sure if you can or not TBH, but if not, give one of us a nudge and we can edit it in for you.

I've just checked my contribution, and there's still an edit button available, although I haven't tried to use it.

Just a quick note I can't seem to access the tutorials link via the app (android) I only get the link to people offering paid training? I used to enjoy reading the tutorials for a bit of inspiration!

I'm quite happy to either write stuff or share some of my archive here. Happy to help.

Just a quick note I can't seem to access the tutorials link via the app (android) I only get the link to people offering paid training? I used to enjoy reading the tutorials for a bit of inspiration!
Thats weird, I'll get @Marcel to take a look for you (y)
Although I've only just seen the date, is it sorted?

Last edited:
Unfortunately the tutorials / resources section isn't available on the app(s) at the moment and require the website to access.

Sounds like an awesome thought, we make them light aides, however nothing that clarifies the whole alternatives accessible and how to adjust it. I'll volunteer something I've been thinking about for some time.

How is that required list currently? I see this thread comes from 2015...

Back