Tynemouth Beginner - Any suggestions for Improvement

Edit My Images
No
Only recently started with a DSLR and getting to grips with manual mode. I am quite pleased with the lighthouse but the church is not in focus. Any suggestions for improvement. Both only Jpegs as no edditing software yet.

Lighthouse shot at 1/60 F22 Iso 100 handheld - Cloudy WB

IMG_0154 edit
by andrew.sturrock, on Flickr

Church 1/50 F22 Iso 100 handheld - Cloudy WB

IMG_0104
by andrew.sturrock, on Flickr

They're a good starting point, you're on the right lines.

A couple of points, when shooting architecture try and keep your camera level, eg not pointing up or down, which will stop your buildings looking like they're leaning over, of course you can use that effect to your advantage, shooting a skyscraper for example, you can really emphasise the height by leaning the camera upwards.

Next, you don't need f22 for either of those shots, contrary to how you would imagine when you get to very very small apertures like f18, f22, f24 etc your shots actually get less sharp. To get everything acceptably sharp in the first shot I bet you could have used f11, similarly for the second shot unless you wanted to be able to pixel peep every blade of grass I bet f11 would have done.

Finally, when a shot shows a horizon, like the sea, it is important to keep it level, both your shots slope down to the left. I have an inbuilt lean, strangely about exactly the same as my father who was a professional photographer, we seem to have a family lean! If you're using a tripod you can use the onscreen level, or a hotshoe bubble which only costs a couple of quid.

I hope this doesn't seem too critical, they're both good for a beginner, keep up the good work.

Hi Andrew. The horizon isn't straight in either of them so that needs sorting out. Sort yourself a copy of Lightroom and start to shoot RAW so you can pull the shadows out. As Mark has said, open up the lens a little and increase the shutter speed. You could also try and sit the camera on something solid if a Tripod is not practical.

HTH.

Hi Andrew , being fairly local i know these areas well, as pointed out horizons are wonky, easily rectified. I like the first of the pier, keep on taking photos, look out for composition before taking an image, different angles and points of view can make a big difference to the final shot, later and earlier times od day often give more interesting light.

regards brian.

They're a good starting point, you're on the right lines.

A couple of points, when shooting architecture try and keep your camera level, eg not pointing up or down, which will stop your buildings looking like they're leaning over, of course you can use that effect to your advantage, shooting a skyscraper for example, you can really emphasise the height by leaning the camera upwards.

Next, you don't need f22 for either of those shots, contrary to how you would imagine when you get to very very small apertures like f18, f22, f24 etc your shots actually get less sharp. To get everything acceptably sharp in the first shot I bet you could have used f11, similarly for the second shot unless you wanted to be able to pixel peep every blade of grass I bet f11 would have done.

Finally, when a shot shows a horizon, like the sea, it is important to keep it level, both your shots slope down to the left. I have an inbuilt lean, strangely about exactly the same as my father who was a professional photographer, we seem to have a family lean! If you're using a tripod you can use the onscreen level, or a hotshoe bubble which only costs a couple of quid.

I hope this doesn't seem too critical, they're both good for a beginner, keep up the good work.

:agree:

I agree pretty much with what Mark said. But A good effort none the less! It's only practice mate that makes you better and a willingness to learn!...... KEEP GOING!

Back