UK trains in 2014

Edit My Images
Yes
Been a while since I posted on here! Thought I'd do a 'best of 2014 so far' thread, been pretty good so far this year and summer hasn't even arrived yet!

67026 Shipton-by-Benningbrough 01/01/2014
by Flash_3939, on Flickr

70016 Acton Bridge 10/01/2014
by Flash_3939, on Flickr

66749 Milford Junction 13/01/2014
by Flash_3939, on Flickr

90029 Copmanthorpe 18/01/2014
by Flash_3939, on Flickr

66118 Milford Junction 28/02/2014
by Flash_3939, on Flickr

66182 York 28/01/2014
by Flash_3939, on Flickr

91114 Overton 19/02/2014
by Flash_3939, on Flickr

67024 Overton 08/03/2014
by Flash_3939, on Flickr

Nice varied set there showing some great locos, love the second shot beautifully composed and the telephoto lens really compresses the image and shows that all rail tracks are far from level.:)

#'s 2 & 7 are nicely composed. Inside York station looks like a great place to shoot.

Thanks for the comments. York station is actually pretty boring for shots, most have been done to death. I was quite pleased with that one of the 66 as it was doing about 40mph - pretty tricky at night.

2, 3, 5 & 6 are superb!

Mastering good train photos is something I'd like to do. For whatever reason mine don't come out well.

Well done something that I don't do very often more of a steam man myself.

Trevor

2, 3, 5 & 6 are superb!

Mastering good train photos is something I'd like to do. For whatever reason mine don't come out well.

Thanks. As Steve points out above, using a telephoto lens immediately creates a good effect for head on shots, it compresses the whole train and gives you plenty of options for composition as a slight change in your standing position will often give an entirely different angle. Most of my shots are with a 70-300, the rest are with a 50 prime but I occasionally use a 24-105, particularly at big stations where there might be a lot of undesirable distractions you need to avoid in the frame.

Im a signalman on the railway, and I love them, really nice shots, I keep meaning to get out more and get some myself, this has geed me up now, thanks

all lovely shots number five would be my favourite just remove the diesel and put a steam loco in there and it would be perfect (y)

Thanks for the comments. York station is actually pretty boring for shots, most have been done to death. I was quite pleased with that one of the 66 as it was doing about 40mph - pretty tricky at night.

I really like your work, in particular 2 and 5. I disagree with your comments about York though I think it's a great place to photograph and full of atmosphere. I hope you don't mind me posting these on your thread, if you do please feel free remove them.

In the last one I waited for a train to appear out of the fog but sadly ran out of time. I would consider these as snapshots as I have no idea what I'm photographing but would like to learn. I have noticed quite a lot of variety at York and Bristol Temple Meeds which I commute to on a weekly basis. I have even seen steam trains in York Station very recently. I think that different types of train and companies make quite interesting subjects. Given that York is right on my doorstep, is there anyway good websites that will tell me what's going on and a guide to identifying them. I did ask a fellow photographer on the station and he replied 'it was a closely guarded secret !' - not very helpful at all.

13071107033_5c3562f5ab_b.jpg

Like the little DMU in number 2, looks like its tagging on behind a bigger friend

I really like your work, in particular 2 and 5. I disagree with your comments about York though I think it's a great place to photograph and full of atmosphere. I hope you don't mind me posting these on your thread, if you do please feel free remove them.

In the last one I waited for a train to appear out of the fog but sadly ran out of time. I would consider these as snapshots as I have no idea what I'm photographing but would like to learn. I have noticed quite a lot of variety at York and Bristol Temple Meeds which I commute to on a weekly basis. I have even seen steam trains in York Station very recently. I think that different types of train and companies make quite interesting subjects. Given that York is right on my doorstep, is there anyway good websites that will tell me what's going on and a guide to identifying them. I did ask a fellow photographer on the station and he replied 'it was a closely guarded secret !' - not very helpful at all.

No problem at all! You're right York station is architecturally lovely, but like anything on your doorstep it gets boring after a while.

Your 4th shot is great, and evidence that you don't need a train in the shot to make a great railway photo. It looks like it could have been taken 40 years ago! The 3rd pic is also quite interesting as you have a Grand Central HST and Class 180 side by side, the only two types of traction they use.

I've had the railway bug since the age of around 5, so I've no idea where you'd start! Perhaps, like anything these days, wikipedia may be helpful. If you see something you like the look of, search by the class number (first 2 or 3 digits of the trains number, depending on whether it has 5 or 6 in total).

Many thanks for that, there is quite a lot of information out there ! It is difficult to know where to start. York station was really busy this morning but I didn't have my camera with me, on my way to Bristol for the week. Roll in the weekend! I'm going to investigate how and when steam trains are going to visit York. There must be somewhere that I can drill down and find out what's going on. I missed out a good picture last year ( or the year before) when the 007 Skyfall train was unveiled if that's the right word.

[quote="Blank_Canvas, post: 6232313, member: 47563" I missed out a good picture last year ( or the year before) when the 007 Skyfall train was unveiled if that's the right word.[/quote]

Ah yeah, 91107 (or 007, as it was temporarily changed to for obvious reasons!). I was there for the first run, and although it only carried the vinyls for a couple of months I seemed to see it every time I went out with the camera

Skyfall Special by Flash_3939, on Flickr

Skyfall 82231 by Flash_3939, on Flickr

91007 Skyfall by Flash_3939, on Flickr

East Coast are quite into giving their trains special vinyl liveries. There's also a purple 'Flying Scotsman' one, and an advert for Sky 1 both still running around as we speak. Keep an eye out for them at York!

91101 'Flying Scotsman' by Flash_3939, on Flickr

91125 York 09/11/2013 by Flash_3939, on Flickr

Back