Um... sort of photographic equipment...

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Hi

as thread says really, calling mainly to landscapers. I am looking for a good pair of waterproof and sturdy walking boots but they need to be light. About the weight of a pair of trainers. Any ideas with links greatly appreciated.

Tarr muchly

Scott

Hi

as thread says really, calling mainly to landscapers. I am looking for a good pair of waterproof and sturdy walking boots but they need to be light. About the weight of a pair of trainers. Any ideas with links greatly appreciated.

Tarr muchly

Scott

No such thing really, other than a pair of wellies.

Light and sturdy don't mix, unfortunately. It sounds that your priority is lightness. Go and try some on. Footwear is very personal in terms of fit (less so with the lighter stuff, but essentially so in terms of the serious, heavier stuff).

Both my daughter and I have Salomon boots, light, waterproof and appear to be wearing well. Wore mine today through mud and water, feet were bone dry and comfortable too
Good socks are important too, I stick to Bridgedale in summer and winter weights.

Last edited:
I have a pair of zamberlan boots, which are the comfiest I've ever worn. Not light but I don't get on with most boots.

Both my daughter and I have Salomon boots, light, waterproof and appear to be wearing well. Wore mine today through mud and water, feet were bone dry and comfortable too
Good socks are important too, I stick to Bridgedale in summer and winter weights.

I have their shoes. They've been all over the north of England, Belgium, Thailand and the Kazakh wilderness and they're still in very good condition.

Actually I was going to recommend heading off down to your nearest workwear shop. You can get some good, hardwearing and very reasonably priced work gear these days and it can be a fraction of the cost of walking shoes or boots. I have a pair of trainer type work shoes and I think they'd survive a nuclear blast, they cost about £15.

I have Salomon boots too. Stood whole day up to the ankles in water getting pictures of the road racing. Dry as a bone

It depends how far you're going to walk. I've got the impression that most people don't get far away from their cars, so some the above information might be gratuitous. The notion of ankle support is overrated - I've walked hills in sandals. Finding a boot size relative to the socks you plan to wear and a maker's last that fits your foot is more crucial.

Will the walking be in a hot or a cold climate?

If you are not going into swamps and seawater any CAT boots will do. There are all sorts of different options and don't forget the wellies if you plan on getting real dirty and wet. There is no substitute for that.

I'd go to Glastonbury Street retail area and have a good look in a few stores. One or two should stock a very good range of discounted walking boots.

It depends how far you're going to walk. I've got the impression that most people don't get far away from their cars, so some the above information might be gratuitous. The notion of ankle support is overrated - I've walked hills in sandals. Finding a boot size relative to the socks you plan to wear and a maker's last that fits your foot is more crucial.

Will the walking be in a hot or a cold climate?

How far and in what conditions are the keys.

Personally I hate having wet socks so in water, mud and snow I want waterproof shoes. The worst conditions I've ever walked any distance in the wild in was in deep snow and my trousers froze up to the knee and the rest of my clothing wasn't far behind and I was really glad I had decent boots on, on that occasion Regatta boots. Interestingly my non weather proof 20D looked like a block of ice but worked perfectly once thawed out.

I still have those boots and they're in fair condition but the tops scuffed a little.

Last edited:
Go and try some on. Footwear is very personal in terms of fit (less so with the lighter stuff, but essentially so in terms of the serious, heavier stuff).
This is excellent advice. Don't pay too much attention to anyone who recommends a particular brand because, whilst it might be right for them, there's no way of knowing whether it will be right for you.

I had a brilliant pair of Zamberlan leather boots. Fitted me like slippers. My wife bought a pair and they gave her blisters everywhere. Just couldn't wear them.

She bought a pair of Salomons. Much more high tech than the traditional leather boots I'd always favoured, but they were clearly brilliant in all sorts of ways. When my Zsmberlans wore out I decided to buy some Salomons. Tried on every pair in the shop and none of them fitted properly. They all seemed to be too narrow with not enough clearance over the instep. I ended up with Meindls, which I hadn't even considered previously, but they fit me perfectly.

It's frustrating and time consuming, but for decent boots it really does make sense to go to a good boot shop and leave your brand preconceptions at the door.

Some top advice from StewartR there. Years ago I had a pair of Zamberlan's and they were the only boots that ever tore my feet part.... After driving over them half a dozen times in an attempt to soften them up a bit, they still chewed buggery out of my feet and were dispatched to the charity shop. Been wearing boots on a daily basis for over 20 years and have used boots from Scarpa, Altberg, Lowa, and Meindl, set a budget and go try the boots on instead of an online purchase, find something that suits the budget and comfortable and you're sorted.

Scarpa GTX lightweight and reasonably solid for low level hiking. Goretex so water proof, leather so easier to maintain.

I've also had/still got Meindl Burma's as they are quite solid, and definitely waterproof....not light though.

Army surplus. Current issue boots, built like the proverbial brick sh#t house and really comfy. Not a bad shade of khaki and far better than the old high leg issue.

Thanks everyone for the ideas, lots to digest here. I'm not a hardcore fell walker and as mentioned above I normally wear Timberland sandals which are actually perfect when it's warm/mild. In mud and deepish water I wear Hunters so the footwear I'm looking for is to take place of the sandals when it's not so warm. Wearing Hunters to Tesco's after a shoot gets me a little self conscious if I can't get to change shoes :p

Light and sturdy don't mix, unfortunately.

Erm... well... more durable than sturdy really.

There are plenty of trainer style walking shoes. Merrel and karrimor both make decent shoes that won't hurt your pocket. Go outdoors and blacks both will be selling those types off this time of year.

inov8 boots
Fell running shoes in boot form.
They are ace
light weight (I can and have run in them) Waterproof

Meindl, handmade in Germany. I have two pairs of different categories - Really there is nothing to touch them! Expensive but if you buy cheap you buy twice, or even thrice! Simples.

http://www.meindl.co.uk

:)

I wear berghaus. Very good lightweight and waterproof can't for the life of me think of the model though! Not very helpful doh!

For boots listen to the advice you've been given: try some on. There's no substitute for what suits your feet (and walking style) the best. I went in a couple of years back thinking I wanted really light Salomon Wings GTX thingies (super lightweight) and they gave me the support that a pair of slippers would. Ended up being torn between Scarpa Mantas and SL Activs - completely the other end of the scale. This was to replace my worn out Meindls which had finally given up the ghost after over 10 wonderful years!

Moral of that story: don't go in with preconceptions, just an open mind and try as much as you can. Go somewhere with a ramp or bridge (even Go Outdoors tends to have these now) so you can see what they're like away from the flat.

FWIW, lightweight boots will have compromises in other areas: either support and/or "waterproofness". You can't get everything into one boot design, sadly. If you genuinely want lightweight then the Innov8 and/or Merrell concepts are worth looking at (again as others have mentioned), but they require a fairly fundamental change in your walking style because they don't provide ankle support. I'm not ballsy enough to go with that when I'm carrying up to 20kg on my back :oops: :$

I wear berghaus. Very good lightweight and waterproof can't for the life of me think of the model though! Not very helpful doh!
Good call! I do a bit of hiking/walking and can recommend the Berghaus Explorer Ridge boots. Gortex, water-proof, very light and they didn't need "breaking in".
Mine were made in Italy and are 4 years old, no problems with leaks or rips and they get used nearly every day. Oh yes, and they're mega comfortable. The only drawback is they wouldn't suit someone with wide feet.

I have just got a pair of >> These << and they are great (Salomon Quest 4D GTX) , very comfortable and pretty light too. I tried flatter boots on and leather but i have quite a high arch in my foot so these are more comfortable.

I went to Great Outdoor Superstore adament i wanted some Brashers as thats what everyone told me to get but to be honest when i tried them they were just not very comfortable at all. Ended up trying the sAlomons and they fit like a glove.

I was also donated a paid of Altberg Peacekeeps P1's and they are very comfortable too, they are not light at all though!

Last edited:
Beware of the well known brand Karrimor that were once good quality
These are now an in house brand for Sports Direct and the quality has suffered considerably

Last edited:
Good call! I do a bit of hiking/walking and can recommend the Berghaus Explorer Ridge boots. Gortex, water-proof, very light and they didn't need "breaking in".
Mine were made in Italy and are 4 years old, no problems with leaks or rips and they get used nearly every day. Oh yes, and they're mega comfortable. The only drawback is they wouldn't suit someone with wide feet.

:agree::plus1: Walked all over Wales and the Lake District with them, great lightweight boot

i have northwest territory walking/hiking boots. waterproof, slip proof, and all the rest of it. light and very comfortable. may not be top of the range but for the money cant fault them ( under £50 )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Northwest-Territory-Hunter2-Leather-Walking/dp/B00392CKG8

i have the style hunter ll in green, very similar to the ones above. paid about £25 from ebay and have worn them pretty much day in day out for past year and still as good as new.

really all down to your budget as for what you want to spend but i think the reviews speak for themselves in regard to comfort and whatnot.

Last edited:
Berghaus - in-store brand of LD Mountain Stores - are good.

My best ever are a pair of Meindl desert boots - designed as replacements for the crap MoD issue ones - light as a feather, waterproof, breathable, never had a blister, £40.

Thanks everyone, I went for the Merrell Moab Mid GTX in the end.

32069560.jpg

I had to get 9.5 as the 9 was a wee bit tight. Fits comfortably, reasonably light and Goretex waterproofing. £120.00 though which probably is pushing it a bit considering Xmas is coming!

I am on my second pair of these though womens. They were extremely comfortable from day 1 for me and I have various feet problems. I wouldn't say they were 100% waterproof though.

I am on my second pair of these though womens. They were extremely comfortable from day 1 for me and I have various feet problems. I wouldn't say they were 100% waterproof though.

Aye, definitely comfortable. Now looking for a pair of warm waterproof trousers.

Last edited:
No probs Scott. They're very warm & quite thick/heavy, so no they wouldn't really work as casual strides.

Back