Undecided D5000 vs D200

Name
Aaron
Edit My Images
Yes
As above i am looking to get either or.

I am undecided on which of the 2 to get........

i like pro style body of the D200 but i appreciate that the d5000 being a newer body will be more up to date.

I have recently done a wedding and have another coming up in November, so to me the low light capability of the D5000 seems the better option but i am wondering what are your opinions please.

I for those of you that want to say do not do the wedding that is not a option, please do not post if that is the case :)

Sorry forgot to add that bit.

I have:

35mm 1.8g
50mm 1.8g
18-200

Why don't you just hire a camera body for the wedding?

I've got both :)
Well, a 5200 and a 200.
They're both fun, the D200 is twice the weight but is easier to adjust aperture, shutter speed and ISO. (You need to press an extra button with the 5200)
To be honest, there is not a lot of difference between the two viewing a pic on a PC at normal sizes, given the difference in MP- 24MP and 10MP
Personally, I'd go with the 5200 rather than the 5000 (considering the cost), and I don't see much point in having the 5300.

Last edited:
You don't say what body you have at the moment ?
Have you considered a 2nd hand D7100, I got one as a 2nd body to a D300 and now use it as the primary camera

My options are d200 or d5000 my budget can't stretch much more than that...

I've got both :)
Well, a 5200 and a 200.
They're both fun, the D200 is twice the weight but is easier to adjust aperture, shutter speed and ISO. (You need to press an extra button with the 5200)
To be honest, there is not a lot of difference between the two viewing a pic on a PC at normal sizes, given the difference in MP- 24MP and 10MP
Personally, I'd go with the 5200 rather than the 5000 (considering the cost), and I don't see much point in having the 5300.

I think given your comparison of the d200 vs d5200 is not much difference I think I would prefer the d200 just because of build quality.

D200 is the camera for you then, it is a small pro size camera so will feel much better using than a entry level D5xxx

Thank you Joe and others.

My concern was the image quality difference between the 2. Is there any?

Not really, but the 200 is very realistic for colours for some reason.

Nothing major, Its down to personal use, I personally in your case would go for the D200 as it also has a AF motor built in meaning you can use oder AF and AF-D lenses on the camera, It also has a larger viewfinder than the D5000 and is weather sealed + 5fps compared to the D5000 4fps

Not really, but the 200 is very realistic for colours for some reason.

:agree:

It is defiantly wining me over at the moment......

Any idea's what the shutter life is on the d200 anyone?

It's not completely but if I want to stay living in my house then I think I best stick my the d200

Well, you have two fast primes so the poorer ISO performance of the D200 won't matter too much (although be careful not to have too shallow depth of field).

Haha i just brought both d200 from them, we must have been on there the same time

Back