Upgrading kit

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Currently I am using a film SLR camera (Minolta 500si) with a 100-400m Corsina lens. Whilst this has been a great camera I now find it very limiting for some obvious reasons. I am looking at getting a Canon, and I about to take an online photography course to up my knowledge. Currently I am self-taught, and still have a HUGE amount to learn!

Please could I have advice on body, lenses etc. I need a fast FPS for action shots (sport, African wildlife), long lens for African wildlife, ideally I would like a wide angle and eventually a macro as well. My budget will be around £1200-£1500 and I would prefer to get the zoom lenses first. I know I want to stick to Canon L series IS lenses.

I have also had conflicting advice regarding extenders - some say they are great others say that you lose quality.

All help and advice greatly received.
Thanks

Hi

As you are used to your Minolta body, initially, I would head down to a good shop and try out several makes / models and see which you like the feel of and which feels most natural - controls etc, compared to what you are used to - this will give you a head start on at least the make of body you wish to proceed with - don't forget about Sony as they bought the Minolta fitment, so your old lenses may work ?

Next decision is size of body - the 400 / 450 / 500D are smaller than the 40 / 50D range in Canon - I think this is similar for Nikon as well.

Hope this is of some help and good luck with your search (y)

Thank you so much for that, I will go into a shop. Unfortunately I think my old lens is dirty - and I cannot seem to clean it. I would also like IS - which this one is not so I am prepared to get all new kit. Is it worth going second-hand? What should I look out for if I do?

Thank you again!
L

I'd recommend picking up a secondhand 40D and 100-400 IS lens, you should be able to get this pair used for ~£1100-1200 possibly less if you get lucky. Depending on how wide you want to go you could just use the 18-55 kits lens or if you want to go really wide then look for a Sigma 10-20mm, I'm sure there was one for sale on here for £240 recently. That would take up most if not all of your budget, but when you come to look for a macro, I'd recommend looking at the Sigma range, much cheaper than the Canons but very good quality.

Personally I wouldn't fixate on a brand. as has been said go and play with a variety, Nikon, Canon Sony, Pentax and see which feels most comfortable and intuitive to You as it is you that will be using it not other people.

After all if one camera fit all then we'd not even be discussing this:)

Back