Using Fuji X series with off camera flash

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I'm just waiting to purchase an XE1 and i was wondering if anyone who's using the X series cameras could give me a helping regarding off caera flash? I am basically wanting to know if there are any TTL triggers that can be used with these cameras and if not how do you guys get your flash off the camera? I take it i would be limited to a TTL cord. I was thinking about purchasing a Fuji speedlight as i'm aware there are no 3rd party TTL options available.

Regards

Scott

I don't use flash much but I've an EF-42 which I use in the hot-shoe for bounce flash, on a TTL chord (rarely) or with manual triggers (Cactus V5). It works fine but is expensive for what it is. If you want powerful TTL then there isn't an alternative that I know of. The smaller Fuji flashes balance better on the camera but are quite weak. Cactus V6 triggers can control some Canon (and probably Nikon) flashes from the hot-shoe unit but they are still manual mode. But they save going round each flash changing the power I suppose.

Can use Yongnuo triggers, no TTL though. Metz is going to launch a TTL flash for Fuji soon.

I read you can use Canon TTL cord, all pins are the same on Fuji.

I use Yn560 triggered optically by my x100's built-in flash, settings are set in manual. It syncs up to 1/4000 fine.

Thanks guys. I was hoping there would something along the lines of the YN622C/N but sadly not. I'm in no hurry so hopefully find something soon. I think the canon cords especially the longish ones are quite expensive.

I'm not sure that would work if I had a go at it. I could see something terrible happening to my 50 pound cable.

It does seem very odd that there are no ttl triggers for such a well known brand though. Is there any reason for this?

I'm not sure that would work if I had a go at it. I could see something terrible happening to my 50 pound cable.

It does seem very odd that there are no ttl triggers for such a well known brand though. Is there any reason for this?

Probably because not everyone using OCF will have the same brand of equipment at both the transmitter and receiver end of the wireless link - almost certainly not with Fuji as the range of available Fuji flashguns is very limited. Best bang for the buck at the low-cost end are high-power manual flashes that don't TTL anyway, and anyone more serious is using portable heads. Using TTL flashguns with OCF seems an unnecessarily expensive compromise in the middle for not much gain. OK if you're just using the one head, in which case wired is usually as good as wireless.

Thanks Alastair. If I was using flashes in manual mode is assume I would need to purchase a light meter too which you maybe close the gap price wise. For the record I am thinking of using one flash until I feel more comfortable with that.

I use a Yongnuo 560 iii flash and a Yongnuo 603ii transmitter with my X-Pro 1 and it's absolutely great. When money allows I will be getting the Yongnuo 560tx so I can manually change my flash output from the camera.

Are the 603's brand specific or do they work on any cameras? I might just purchase these as I know they're well thought of.

Back