UV/ Protector filters - recommendations?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Hi all
I'm guessing this is an often asked question but can only find old threads.

I have just got my 70-200 back from repair but the filter was damaged so now I need a new one.

Would you use a UV, skylight or protector filter (not having one isn't always an option)?

Any recommendation on brand or model?

So far looking at
B+W MRC UV haze £47.99 (or £81.90 both Amazon prices??)
Tiffen Sky 1A £10.99
Tiffen Protector £37.99
Kood UV Slim digital & protection filter £12.65
Hoya Pro-1 £34.74
Hoya UV HMC £19.84
Cokin Super Slim Pure Harmonise Multi coat UV £24.95 (nice catchy name that one)
(prices are for the 82mm version for my 10-20 Sigma)

I had a kood uv on my sigma and it was rubbish. The filter rattled in its housing. I had trouble removing it as well so I binned it and got the sigma uv. I've got hoyas uv on my tamron and canon lenses and they seem fine.

There's absolutely no need for a UV filter on a digital camera and even less for a Skylight so I'd only go for a protector. Hoya Pro-1 is what I normally use but an equivalent from Tiffen or B+W is probably just as good. All filters will degrade the image so buy the best you can afford as you do get what you pay for.

Reactions: BBR
I use Nikon NC filters on my 24-70 & 70-200mm lenses, Its just a clear bit of glass and does the job to protect the front element, I don't use filters on my macro lens as I think quality is affected and I use it mainly on a tripod as the camera shake is unreal at such small magnifications...

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is an often asked question but can only find old threads.

There hasn't been a change in point of view on filters since Fox Talbot created the first TP account.

If you read the old threads you'll see they're all the same. You're optimistic if you think you can get a consensus when so many threads have failed before on this very topic..

You're optimistic if you think you can get a consensus when so many threads have failed before on this very topic..

I'm not looking for a consensus. I feel there is a need for front element protection when in hostile environments. Although I leave one on all the time I remove it if I think its not needed.
I just want to avoid buying a dog or spending too much when the same can be achieved at a lower price. The Tiffen skylight is the winner on price and perceived quality.

If you really need to use one, the best protection filters are the ones with easy-clean multi-coated glass, eg Hoya HD or Hoya Revo, or Marumi Exus, B+W MRC. They cost a bit more, but worth it IMHO.

Back