Varsity Cycling Events

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a few of the more interesting shots from my coverage of Sheffield's Varsity cycling events. Hallam won the downhill by 20 seconds, Uni won the time trial by 18mins and the hill climb by over a minute. I'll be racing for the Uni at the weekend in the cross country race and the BMX is on wednesday of next week so expect some photos of that as well! Any comments are welcomed.

13445562875_4bf0def64e_b.jpg

13445928984_9a626335fa_b.jpg

13445564695_9819dba887_b.jpg

13445565305_940d0fefb0_b.jpg

13445680663_e8df2fcd84_b.jpg

Super work, I really like the 3rd it has a great sense of scale. The last two shots really sums up cycle racing, for me anyway. They show the pain and grit you need to keep going when you need too, great work.

some comments...

1) just don't get it..? rider going away from you, funny angle and blurred renault clio with some rain drops..? at least wait for the car to pass...and the angle is all wrong, not sure whether this is going up hill or not...I always think that runners / riders going away from the shot look better in black and white..for me bin it...now if only you'd taken a rider going away in black and white... ah ha...:D

2) like this, although i would crop to get the edge of the road at the edge of the picture...or next time get out into the middle of the road to get teh white lines going straight away from you...(look both ways before you do...just in case the clio is on their way home :whistle: )...

3) prefer riders on downhill bikes, going downhill..rather than standing in a forest...usually they are very colourful with helmets etc...so why b&w...also the black arch on the right looks a little odd, as though you're trying to make a semi-circular picture...and the very OOF tree in the LHS third looks strange once you notice it...

4) like the angle of the road (whether intentional or not), good expression from rider...and you can see the muscle in legs from the effort...shame that the wheel is at the angle it is at it looks like he's about to give up...? a bit straighter and this would have been my fav..(y)

5) nice bit of grit to the shot from the road surface...although either you've cropped too close or missed the back wheel out of the shot...shame...

look forward to seeing your next set

JB

Thanks for the feedback JB, the first two were at the TT and I was marshalling so had to wave a flag and stop cars etc so only really had time for photos once the riders had passed which was a shame really, those two were the only ones that stood out really. The first just had something about it that I liked, shame about the car but I rushed the shot, could crop to a portrait?

The comments on the downhill one are valid, I didn't get any particularly good race photos but I'll upload a couple tomorrow to see what you think. It rained for the race run as well so most people had black rain coats on which hid the colours, I definitely agree with you on that point.

I'm quite sure the 4th photo is level, not sure what you mean by that? It was particularly steep but his technique was interesting, hence the position of the front wheel, he was the winner after all so he wasn't slouching!

The last one was shot at the limit of my lens so I definitely would have preferred to get the whole bike in, still like the effect of the road in the background though!

Last edited:
Number 6 is good, and I like the atmosphere in 3 for some reason

4 is my favourite of the set, if only because I know that feeling so well! It has the pain and effort written all over his face.

Back