Venice.........what to take?

Name
martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
We are off to Venice in 3 weeks for a 3 night stay. I was going to take the D3100 with kit lens and Sigma 10-20, but now I have the little Fuji XF1 too which gives very good results. Can you please help me decide which one to take..........or both?

'We' are off to Venice...

Is your other half into photography? If yes, there's too much to shot, so either choice is a compromise; if no, then keep it simple, enjoy the place, just bring back happy memories and a few 'snaps' with the simplest set-up possible.

Last time I went all I took was a Canon S3IS and a little Casio p&s. No regrets. :)

Are you travelling with someone else? and as John asks, are they interested in photography?

If you are,and they aren't - then one camera and one lens is the best advice for maintaining relationships. I'd probably go with the XF-1 given the options you list, focus on having a good time and not spend too much of it looking through a viewfinder.

If you are travelling alone.. I'd take both, with both lenses and a tripod.

I am going with my wife and she isn't in to photography. I will probably spend the day sightseeing and taking just snapshots, but was thinking of going out early on my own while she gets ready to go out for the day.

When I went I took a 24-120 (equivalent to 16-80 on your crop sensor) and never felt the need for anything wider so I would forego the Sigma 10-20 if I were you. D3100 and kit lens or XF1 would do you fine.

The last time we were there I had my 24-105 and 10-20 with me. Both were useful and I wouldn't have wanted to be without the 10-20.

I took my dslr, wide, walkabout and telephoto lens. Then a flashgun for evening portraits, don't forget a polariser filter

I took my dslr, wide, walkabout and telephoto lens. Then a flashgun for evening portraits, don't forget a polariser filter
But I haven't got a polariser filter.....oh well, I might have to treat myself;-)

If you're shooting water....

It's a great place, the Jewish quarter has some really nice, cheap restaurants. Murano for the glass is a good trip out , also for photography ;)

I'd say go with the kit lens OR the 10-20 as I like to travel light. I'd imagine the thing that could annoy a partner who is NOT into photography would not be the camera you use but the way you use the camera. I sometimes see people taking AGES on a single shot (eg setting up a tripod etc) rather than just taking shots of interesting things as you go along.

I've found my 16-85mm fine for Venice. I find that a perfect focal range for cities, so the kit lens should be good enough. I'd always want a DSLR though just in case there was 'the scene' you happened across. I also have my compact camera for snaps for memory's, which may not necessarily be any pics/videos I'd want to show anyone else. ;)

If you plan to get out early take a tripod, though it depends on how early you plan to go out. I was there at the beginning of April last year and got out about 7ish (I think) in the morning. It was getting light, and it will be even lighter around that time early May, so depends on how early you plan to get up. ;) Obviously good for pics at night too, though you may not get the chance to get out at night.

Buy a travel pass while you're there to get you quickly to where you want to take pics of early, and if you go walking in general, makes it easier to get back to where you are staying if you find yourself on the wrong side of the island with aching feet. It is so easy to get lost there it's unreal. :eek: :LOL: Get away from St Mark's Square and the Rialto Bridge areas, and you can get away from 90% of the rest of the tourists and it's a more relaxing place.

The Vaporetto rides are part of the experience though. A boat trip along the Grand Canal is a must, you can either try and get at the front of on some of the boats, or sit on the outside at the back. The closer to the start of each route, the more chance you have of getting the best seats. ;)

Three days is too short though to take pics of too much, especially if you are with a loved one. A day out to Burano is a nice trip, relaxing boat ride and lots of colourful buildings to see, and not as packed as St Mark's Square/Rialto Bridge. I find Burano much nicer than Murano photographically, though you can see some nice glass blowing demonstrations in Murano. Good views over the city from the bell towers in St Mark's Square and San Giorgio Maggiore.

Took me five trips to think I've had enough of Venice. (for now) Three days will just be a taster. ;)

If you've got space and weight in your handbaggage for both, take both. The little XF delivers enough quantity for photographs as well as snaps but doesn't go as wide as the 10-20 on a crop body (XF starts at 25mm, the 10-20 on a crop is effectively 15 at the wide end and at short FLs that 10mm is a big difference!)

If the break is supposed to be a romantic trip away, just take the XF and if you feel you missed too much go back with the SLR for a more photographically based trip!

One of the main things you will need is money, and a lot of it!!
Depends on how you do Venice. ;) I know a couple of very nice takeaway Pizza places. And they do some lovely sandwiches in the Station. :) And there are at least 3 large supermarkets for stuff.

I was there on my own though, a romantic getaway would probably be a lot more expensive. ;) :LOL:

Gondolas are very expensive. I think it is usually €80 for a 40 minute ride. That is what they are supposed to charge anyway. I was there a few years ago with my friends getting married, and the price suddenly went up to €250 because she had a wedding dress on, ad he was in a suit. :eek: (robbing b******s) They ended up having to pay €120. I got to have a Gondola ride whilst taking pics. :D I was going backward though. :rolleyes: They do look romantic though. ;)

If you want to say that you have been on a Gondola there are a couple of places along the Grand Canal were you can get a Gondola over to the other side for €1. It takes less that 5 mins, and you may stand while you're going across, but you would 'have gone' on a Gondola. ;) :LOL:

Last edited:
Back