Very poor Effort Manchester Airport

Edit My Images
Yes
First time using a DSLR at Manchester Airport. Weather was very overcast. Using a Canon 1100D and Sigma 55-200. Need alot of improvement and criticism appreciated and needed to improve.

Just POP them! :)

plane.jpg

Photoshop is your friend :)

I just stuck it in AV mode, with a aperture between 6 and 8 and stuck the ISO at 400. Really i should of moved closer to the threshold to get some lining up shots etc. But the Thomson 787 is the maximum reach of the 200mm I have.
The photoshop edit shows that i need photoshop also as it looks alot better now cheers kipax :)
Can i use the Canon editing software which came with the camera to ehance my images?

Is it my technique,camera,weather or a mixture of all thats caused the poor image quality?

Hi mate,

Some closer ones would have been good. Try just going for some cockpit shots next time, and play with the settings.
I've got some taken in so so conditions on my zenfolio, take a look and check out the Exif data for my settings and try them. They aren't perfect but they may help.

Cheers
Dave

The photoshop edit shows that i need photoshop also as it looks alot better now cheers kipax :)
Can i use the Canon editing software which came with the camera to ehance my images?

Anything wiht auto contrast and a sharpner will do :)

Is it my technique,camera,weather or a mixture of all thats caused the poor image quality?

composition .. try shooting front of planes..
technique ... any technique will do to be honest
camera.. unless there moving fast or somehting you should be able to get these with just about any camera..
weather.. well yes but then you can edit them..

the secret ingrediant to photogrpahy is practice... go back.,,. if the weather is dull.. maybe over expose by one third.. try different things... practice.. trial and error.. thats the fun part of learning photogrpahy.. so go back.. do it again and try different things.. one day everyhting will click into place.. a eureka moment... keep showing us what you have done as you go then people can comment and help..

Good advice there from kipax. Personally I would have gone f8, +2/3 EC and Auto ISO - your 1100D can take it! Then in canon dpp use the noise reduction tool, faff with the contrast a bit and the jobs a kipper.

I'm gonna walk down further next time get some lining up shots.

Will 200mm be enough or do I need more length ?

and thats what she said...........

Longer is better, but if you are coming up a bit short get creative. It's not all about sammy side ons and airliners.net high alpha liftoff shots! Make the most of what you've got, use a fantastic cloudscape to compliment the subject. 200mm is also a good size to get a good bit of panning practice in. Here's my challenge to you - I want to see the subject pinsharp but everything else blurred, and with a lot of the frame full of blur that'll give some great impact.

I'll try my best my aim is to have pinsharp shots by this time next year.
Any pointers on good settings for say cloudy conditions?

Yup,
Over expose, ISO on 400 or thereabouts ( possibly higher)
Check others Exif data for similar conditions and settings ;)

I'll try again. Took over a 100 shots and ended up with 12 I liked. Gonna try again Wednesday, +2/3 exposure and try getting a lot closer.

Hi mate,

A 10% or more hot rate is just fine.

The guy in front of me at RIAT this year was firing off thousands, and I bet his hit rate was the same as yours.

In fact I had about 5% hit rate myself there myself, so don't get down about it. So e you win and some you lose, especially when doing aircraft.

Cheers
Dave

Oh yeah it was my composition that made for the poor shots. Lots of wingtip shots or just nose shots. Only my first time using the Canon at Manchester, last time was using a p&s happy with the camera.
Just need to fiddle with av mode to get sharper photos, I'm assuming a higher F number will give better results?

Not always no.
The depth of field at the distances you are at will easily encompass the aircraft. Obviously lenses are a bit better when stopped down 1 or 2 stops, but in poo weather that's not always practical. I wouldn't agree with using exp comp either, I don't, but then I only ever go to the Mounds, not the park and view, unless its very cold as they have a supply of coffee.
Personally, I'd go onto the mounds on the South (ish) side of the airport, when they are taking off towards the Irish Sea. The nearest to the threshold is the better place for yukky weather. otherwise about half way and take some take off shots.

Yeah I'm gonna walk down further next time. I walk up to the crash gate from the hotel and go on the mound there. Got talking to another bloke and he advised walking further down next time.

Still recovering from a Achilles tendon tear so was trying to avoid walking too far. But should be ok in a couple more weeks.

Back