Victorian harvest day, Canons Ashby (NT, Northants).

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Last weekend the manor house at Canons Ashby in Northamptonshire was used to hold a 'victorian harvest day' complet with costumed volunteers. We had no idea before arriving, but it was too good an opportunity not to miss.

I've processed these in colour, plus B&W with a coffee tint and, as shown here, with a blue tint on cream 'paper'. The coffee/sepia have the most authentic look to them, but photographically are disappointing for the same reasons that sepia-style images usually are. So here instead are the iron-blue images.

C&C welcome.

canonsashbyBogart-09351_zps3f941e6c.jpg~original

canonsashbyBogart-09352_zps9bd1162a.jpg~original

canonsashbyBogart-09391_zps5089d1ea.jpg~original

canonsashbyBogart-09396_zps55f1b7bb.jpg~original

canonsashbyBogart-09369_zps9e808685.jpg~original

Lavenderwindow-1_zpsd8919c41.jpg~original

canonsashbyBogart-09421_zps4da96408.jpg~original

canonsashbyBogart-09428_zps01cfee04.jpg~original

Thanks for your critique on mine. I am happy to reciprocate.

1. Good shallow dof but still some slightly distracting elements in the background. I think it would have been better with less space above the head and more of the subjects torso in the frame. I.e point the camera down a bit, struggling to express my thoughts on this point.... Also it is a shame about the harsh shadow from the hat and eyes in shadow but I guess you couldn't do much about that.

2. Shame about the rope cutting across the subject. Also would be better if you were a bit more head on rather than side on to get more eye contact.

Ok but there is something that bothers me about the mans stance and expression that does not add to the composition.

3 and the last 4 are all good. Good compositions, solid conversions with a good range of tones.

Thanks Jamie. Those last 2 were in a light room with pale, uneven walls, so what looks like a lousy HDR effect is actually the uneven wall surface and play of light. I actually didn't bring back the shadows at all! :)

They are all well seen and taken, but I guess the last 2 are my favourites as well. The detail in them is really great and the texture in her cap and clothes in the last one is fantastic.

Last edited:
Back