Video Editing Software FOR 5D MK 2 (heading edited)

Name
Christine
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for advise on basic video editing software for files from my 5D Mk2.

Having bought the camera I don't have money to spend on the top end software so am looking for something inexpensive that I can use and keep in the .mov format but maybe edit stuff out of individual frames if needed, cut, merge etc, add/remove sound and find easy to use/understand - the latter being very important :)

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

isnt there something called Windows movie Maker, im sure it comes with windows and is pretty simple.

I use adobe premiere which is just the best thing going but you could download a 30day trial on it.
Im sure there are loads of other programs out there though.

Windows MovieMaker2 is more than adequate imo - and free!, but you'd need to get something like Apple QuickTime (the paid for version) to firstly convert your .MOV files to a format compatable with MM2...

Premier Elements is pretty good for a cheaper package, Premier Pro is expensive. There is a Free version of Avid that you can download and try but its very basic. There is also Edius/GreenValley Neo 2, a bit more expensive than Premier Elements but cheaper than Premier Pro and its very good. Edius Neo 2 also allows you to upgrade to their better version at a discounted price should you feel the need in the future. Sony Vegas is another good package but I cant seem to get on with that. You can download a month trial for all of these to see which suits you best.

If you are on a mac then Final Cut Express is a bargain IMO.

sony vegas all the way, awesome bit of kit - prefer it to premiere

Hello Christine I use Adobe Premiere Elements. Just brought the latest version (v7)

I have the previous version (v4). They jumped a couple of numbers!

You could have this for free.

Windows Movie Maker is okay but I have actually not found it that easy to use. The inexpensive one which I would recommend is Pinnacle Studio (there are different versions of it but all should be available for a lot less than £100.00) - also the most 'basic' version is probably all that you will ever need.

Ulead Video Studio 11+ here (was about £50), not sure what version they are up to now. I love it.
Proxy files for editting so you don't play with the bigger HD files is great on a not so hot PC/laptop.

Here's a freeware/donationware converter for MOV > AVI http://www.pazera-software.com/products/mov-to-avi-converter/

There's a good array of setup options, so right-click on the source filename for its properties, especially the framerate and resolution and transfer these to your conversion settings, which may be used as the profile for subsequent conversions.

HuffyUV (lossless) should really be used, initially, for the AVI. Using this test file (41MB), the lossless conversion is 435MB; the Auto settings XviD AVI is 2MB (but awful); and the best quality XviD is 9MB and fine.

Cyberlink power director was quite cheap for me I think (upgrade from demo version), think it was ~£40
I could edit videos and music tracks on them OK. It even did a nice montage of pictures.

As far as converting these into full blown DVDs though, I imported the videos into qdvdauthor, which is free, clunky but works (may not work for you).

Thanks everyone, I will start working my way though the list :)

To confirm I want to be able to:
stay in .mov format
edit individual frames if necessary
add/remove sound
cut/link
not spend a fortune
Use on Windows
Simple enough to learn the language as I go

~~
Adobe Premier - a tad expensive
Final Cut - Mac
Windows Movie Maker - does not like the chosen format

this leaves the following to try:
Premier Elements failed to work "straight out of the box" after spending all afternoon trying to download and install it, gave a choice of three reasons as to why, none of which I understand so am moving on to the next programme UPDATE - it was a Dell Audio Driver that needed updating - see my first post on the next page for details.
Edius/GreenValley Neo 2 The 5D Mk 2 is 30fps - this programme offers 25 and 50 - makes for some interesting effects but not good ones
Avid
Sony Vegas
Pinnacle Studio
Ulead Video Studio 11+
Pazera Software - changed a mov. to avi - PE still opens nothing and Edius does not open converted file
HuffyUV (test file screen just shows G****.nl, Canon 5D Mk 2 Test
1 and nothing else)
Cyberlink Power Director

Thank you for the offer Clive - I will try the various programmes out to see which seems to suit my needs/ability first if you don't mind?

Back in a while .....................

If you are used to photoshop then Premier (Pro or Elements) is the logical choice, but IMO its not the best software out there, although this is what I'm currently using. Try the free one month trial and see how you get on. Software by Pinacle and Ulead is not something I would recommend, you will quickly find yourself fustrated by them.

I use Premier Elements 4 and I edit HDV footage from an M2T file. When you import a clip you have to wait for Premier to make a peak file, this can take a while depending on the size of the clip, if you are importing lots of clips this can take quite some time. If you try to do anything while it is preparing the peak file it will crash. I find the software a bit clunky and slow. I'm using a quad core PC with 3gb ram!

I'd like to try something else, possibly Edius Neo 2, I tried Vegas very briefly but I really couldn't get used to it. Premier Elements is good software, you just have to get used to its little quirks. If I were you I would download the free trial and see how you get on before you make a decision to buy.

Also when you are working with video you have to prepare your computer for the huge files you will be working with and creating. I normally defragment my hard drives before I start a project and get rid of any programs that run in the background unless they are necessary. If I'm working on a large project I wont have any other windows open, so all available resources can go to Premier.

I've used Final Cut Pro on a mac and it doesn't have these problems, only trouble is that the mac is much more costly. One last thing, you will want a large screen when working with video, I use a 24" and at times I wish I had another one to go with it so I can fit everything on. The mac I used had 3 screens!

Thanks for your reply. I was downloading the trial version (for the first time,) when I answered you earlier (then had to download winzip so I could unpack it, then had to clean lots of stuff of my hard drive to see if that was the reason it would not unzip, then redownloaded it and, fingers crossed, it seems to be working this time. Will also have a look at the others before I buy

Another vote for Ulead Videostudio here ... plenty of free extra resources like transitions etc on the net too (y)

Thanks for your reply. I was downloading the trial version (for the first time,) when I answered you earlier (then had to download winzip so I could unpack it, then had to clean lots of stuff of my hard drive to see if that was the reason it would not unzip, then redownloaded it and, fingers crossed, it seems to be working this time. Will also have a look at the others before I buy

Let me know how you get on. Also have you installed any codec packs?

I wouldn't trust Pinnacle Studio. Used to use it but it was so full of bugs, kept crashing etc. Always used to amaze me how many updates used to be issued for it.

I think most photo mags will recommend Adobe Premiere Elements as the best video editing software.

I did write a detailed reply but lost it - twice.

Not downloaded any codecs - had to look them up to see what they are

Premier Elements took so long to get sorted yesterday I have not had time to look at it yet, will try and spend some time with it today

Edius Neo 2 does not seem to support .mov files which I want to stick to for now

Pinnacle - used one of their products years ago and was not impressed

Whats the spec on your laptop? Can you upload a video from your 5DII and I'll see if I can edit it on my system.

I am interested in this as well. Especially the Full HD content movies. Do the above programs reduce quality or keep HD and how do you view HD captures?
I've had my 5D for a month now and have never used the movie mode other than seeing how it all works.

Thank you, I would appreciate it, will PM you in a few minutes with location. My laptop is a Dell Studio 1535 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, T8100 A 2.10 GHz, 4 Gb RAM (I had to look this up, it is not something that means much to me, other than the RAM) I just know I can have some large picture files open with multiple layers without it falling over and that was what I needed at the time.

I feel so useless at not being able to do this !

Thank you, I would appreciate it, will PM you in a few minutes with location. My laptop is a Dell Studio 1535 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, T8100 A 2.10 GHz, 4 Gb RAM (I had to look this up, it is not something that means much to me, other than the RAM) I just know I can have some large picture files open with multiple layers without it falling over and that was what I needed at the time.

I feel so useless at not being able to do this !

Dont feel useless, video can be a headache, pictures are so much simpler to deal with on many levels.

I think this will help. It seems that Canons video format is a pain to work with and the easiest way around it is to convert the original video files into a more software friendly format.

Welcome to the world of video :LOL:

Kerioak,

Video does seem to be so much more convoluted than photo's. I am embarrassed to say that I have been struggling to finalise one particular video I took a couple of years ago - the software I was using (still am, but do wonder why!) kept on being upgraded by the company and I found I could not use the previous version as formats were changed, it was not backwards compatible and I could not import the movie I had made in the old version into the current one, yada yada................

I have been experimenting with the 5D II video and found that you do need a fairly modern and powerful Windows PC even just to run the native .MOV files - (yes we all know that Macs can tackle it easier) -

I posted the following the other day, which does reinforce what "CSB" is saying:

The video mode on the 5D is as you say in .MOV format which is an Apple Mac format and unfortunately it is not totally suited to a Windows PC environment.

You are also right that an "elderly" Sony Vaio PC (I have the same) is not going to have enough processing power to smoothly process the files either for playback or editing.

What you need to do is to convert the Mov files to a format acceptable to a Windows PC - i.e. AVI format.

- I have experimented with several free video converters such as Super, Avidemux, Bink RAD Video tools which then allowed me to edit the movie using Pinnacle Studio, but have not as yet decided on the optimum route. (I did get some weird results, sound not synchronising, extra blank footage added onto end, but this could be down to my naivety on the numerous codec options which I confess does tend to lose me)

I did read on another forum about a better solution - I have not tried this out as I am in the process of upgrading my PC which may assist, but I have repeated the posting here:

I finally found out the reason, quite simple: Our Canon 5D Mark II raw 1080p video files can't be played smoothly on our PC's natively, end of story (Mac Pro users with Final Cut Studio, hush up, we know you can. ). Well, one exception for smooth viewing for PC folks is the shareware viewer VLC, but the video quality it emits is a bit pixelated, and you STILL can't edit the video in Premiere.

THE ANSWER: You simply need to have a magic tool that converts the 5D2's .MOV files to an even-higher quality .AVI file that not only plays gorgeous and smooth in Windows Media Player, but also can be edited in Premiere the way it should have been to begin with. And this amazing tool that converts the 5D2 video should also make the video look even BETTER, more cinema-quality, right?

So where is this magic tool, and what does it cost? It's called NeoScene by Cineform (once the page opens, click on the NeoScene link on the left).

You open your 5D2 file in this software and convert it to AVI, and you're DONE. The new AVI is totally viewable and editable, even in Premiere Elements.

I bought it last Wednesday and tried it out last night, and was amazed. I have a 2006 Dell Laptop with an older 2.0 gHz Core2Duo, and it worked great. The cost for NeoScene on the Cineform site is $129, but you can buy it for $99 from VideoGuys.com (I got another $10 being a first-time customer too!). They send you a download link the next day via email.

IMPORTANT NOTE: NeoScene adds info to the video file to increase image quality, so the AVI file size is larger than your original 5D2 file. For example, I converted a 250MB 5D2 file and ended up with about a 400MB AVI file once it was done, so hard drive space is needed (we need it anyway with video... I'll probably have to have 3TB soon enough).

Anyway, last month I started building this mega-gamer PC thinking that was the only way to work with the 5D2 video (and it'll be a great rig to edit on once I'm done, no doubt), but it's clear now that NeoScene is as important to 5D2 owners as is a lens on the camera, if you want to work with HD video. You probably don't need to build a Saturn V PC, a decent dual-core PC with at least 2GB ram should work just fine!

Final thought for video buffs: NeoScene can't convert the 5D2's 30p video down to 24p. The website says NeoScene does do 24p conversions, and that's true, but not from the 5D2's 30p format. (Hey Canon!! We still need you to include 24p in the next firmware upgrade!!)

There are several forums dedicated to the 5D - the above was reported on the Planet5D forums under the topic Stuttering Video Playback - in Video Editing / Windows Editing. The link is:

http://forum.planet5d.com/index.php

I also tried Canon's supplied Zoombrowser EX software, but not with much success - I would hope that Canon and the other major video editing software manufacturers will bring out a fix to enable the video from the 5D to be editable more easily than currently is the case for Windows PC users, but it is possible and I have seen some excellent examples of video's shot on the 5D II.

I was down at Canon in Elstree the other day to get a lens cleaned / calibrated and I had a moan - the technical chap I was talking to it was very surprised as he thought everyone would be using an Apple Macintosh to edit their movies............................ he did not know how to edit the movie on a Windows PC.

It does look like the NeoScene by Cineform route is the way to go forward for us Windows PC owners who do not want to get too technically involved. I have not committed to buying this as the jury is out as to whether I keep my 5d II or keep my current camcorder etc.

Its a compromise that we have to add in another processing step to convert the files first, but looking at the video's that are on the net, seem's the results are worth it, but does require some extra effort to achieve this.

I think it's more sensible to try the free software linked to in #10 and save as a lossless AVI with unchanged resolution rather than give up at the first hurdle. I don't do anything major with video and posted the link so Kerioak could do the editing with other free or already installed tools and avoid using the MOV format more than necessary.

Even macs are having trouble with 5DII .mov files, they also have to transcode into another file format. This is because .mov and .avi are container files which can contain different types of file within. This is the trouble when manufacturers come up with codecs they think are great, the product is released and software developers are then playing catch up trying to make their program work with the new files.

This is what happened when AVCHD first made an appearance and was only addressed by Adobe when CS4 was released over a year later. In the end its the end user that suffers.

If anyone has a Dell Studio (possibly others but that is what I have) laptop and you have an error code ffa-8-000d [80040154] when trying to use Premier Elements then download an audio driver from here on the Dell site

Zoombrowser plays the videos very smoothly on Windows machines so it can be done. I will be trying PE out a bit more tomorrow - fingers crossed.

Back